International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Adam Carolla Discusses the Patent Lawsuit with Marc Maron

  1. #1
    IAIB Broadcaster Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tifton, GA
    Posts
    297

    Adam Carolla Discusses the Patent Lawsuit with Marc Maron

    In episode 476 of the WTF Podcast, Marc Maron interviews Adam Carolla about the latest in the patent troll lawsuit concerning podcasting. I clipped the segment out of the podcast.

    Be warned, if you've never listened to the WTF Podcast, there is adult language.

    https://soundcloud.com/donovan-adkis...6-adam-carolla
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

  2. #2
    Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    599
    It's an interesting discussion. I wonder if Carolla has approached John Lee Dumas about supporting the defense. Dumas has a vested interested in the outcome.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

  3. #3
    IAIB Broadcaster Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tifton, GA
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    It's an interesting discussion. I wonder if Carolla has approached John Lee Dumas about supporting the defense. Dumas has a vested interested in the outcome.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    156
    Some interesting background here: http://anewdomain.net/2013/01/23/who...lla-deep-dive/

    Seems the gentleman behind the action was done for insider trading around 2004.

  5. #5
    IAIB Broadcaster Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tifton, GA
    Posts
    297
    Here's another interesting segment that I snipped from the No Agenda Show Episode 598. Adam Curry has an interesting perspective on the entire thing. Without investigating further, I have to wonder if this entire thing hasn't been completely blown out of proportion much like what he's saying. Warning: Adult language

    http://s3.amazonaws.com/amn_shows/mi...nt-Segment.mp3
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

  6. #6
    Senior Member oscarmartz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Corona NY
    Posts
    208
    interesting thanks donovan for the info
    you best get steppin

  7. #7
    IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    309
    First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)? Thatís like independent broadcasting 101 stuff.

    Oh and if it were me, I would have tried to get coverage by a company who offers technology errors and omissions insurance as part of the package, especially if youíre charging for a premium podcast or accepting advertising. This type of coverage should be sufficient for even the most frivolous are seemingly unrelated lawsuits.

    I have no idea where this case will lead, but the fact that a guy in his position didn't cover his ass is ludicrous. This has to be a publicity stunt...at least in part. Just my two cents as a small business owner.

    Let me know if you think Iím off base here...
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

  8. #8
    Senior Member oscarmartz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Corona NY
    Posts
    208
    Wow spencer thats such a good point. So do you think the fund raising he is doing for his legal fun is a big publicity stunt?
    you best get steppin

  9. #9
    IAIB Broadcaster Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tifton, GA
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)? That’s like independent broadcasting 101 stuff..
    I wonder how many podcasters/Internet broadcasters actually carry this type of insurance (I'm presuming, of course, that you or Andew do since you brought it up). I would suspect that a lot of podcasters don't, even those that I would consider large such as Adam and John of No Agenda. I wonder if someone like John Dumas carries such insurance?

    <sarcasm>When I'm rolling in the millions from my broadcasting endeavors, I'll be sure to have this type of protection in place as well.</sarcasm>

    Seriously, though, good points, Spencer. I've never thought of Internet broadcasters possibly needing insurance of this type.
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

  10. #10
    Administrator andrewzarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    I wonder how many podcasters/Internet broadcasters actually carry this type of insurance (I'm presuming, of course, that you or Andew do since you brought it up). I would suspect that a lot of podcasters don't, even those that I would consider large such as Adam and John of No Agenda. I wonder if someone like John Dumas carries such insurance?

    <sarcasm>When I'm rolling in the millions from my broadcasting endeavors, I'll be sure to have this type of protection in place as well.</sarcasm>

    Seriously, though, good points, Spencer. I've never thought of Internet broadcasters possibly needing insurance of this type.
    If you are incorporated its a good idea to be insured.. I do not know of any company that doesn't have some sort of insurance to protect them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© International Association of Internet Broadcasters All Rights Reserved.
Follow Us