International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What Mic do you use and why?

My favorite podcasting mic is the Audio Technica AT4053.You can use it with our without a mixer. For broadcast use, I prefer dynamic mics over condenser mics. Download the new MappStream app for quick music audio podcasting or live band updates and take your music marketing to the next level!""It's a great tool for broadcasting live local music to your community and the world!" Click here to find out more! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapp...735066334?mt=8

Well, I finally came full-circle on the whole microphone love-fest. After more than a year of experimentation I became a master of RMA's with microphones that I thought were the cat's meow. At one point I believed that I retired my Electro-Voice RE20 but after less than a month, it came back out of the closet and returned to the boom. In the end I agree with Mike Phillips when he said, 'find something that works and stick with it'.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 07-18-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Appended Content
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

I use the AKG D5 which is not really meant for podcasting but for singers on stage. I like it because it allows me to record with no headphones and the AC blasting as it blocks out all background noises very well. It cost me around $100 when I got it a few years back and works well for me. I'm sure there are better mics but like I said, it works for me.
    Jaded City Live - The worst Podcast on the Internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Tristin View Post
    I use the AKG D5 which is not really meant for podcasting but for singers on stage. I like it because it allows me to record with no headphones and the AC blasting as it blocks out all background noises very well. It cost me around $100 when I got it a few years back and works well for me. I'm sure there are better mics but like I said, it works for me.
    I found that price has very little to do with whether a microphone is good or not. If it's good with your voice in your environment then it's a good microphone. Heck, I even tried the most popular microphone out there being the PR-40 and it was simply too bright for my taste. Granted, it was easy to see why so many people like it because its great for canceling out background noise, although that can be a double-edge sword. It required that I keep my mouth firmly trained on the face of the mandrel. In the end I was able to find the balance and flexibility with what I have.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 07-23-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

I use the Audio Technical ATR-2100 which is an XLR and USB combination microphone, but I only use the XLR connection and I have received great feedback and is extremely inexpensive.

I use a combination of a Blue Yeti Pro and a Snowball for my guests. The Yeti is connected to a Blue Icicle and then to my computer.

I know a lot of us joke here about the Blue Snowball and Yeti but what about the rest of the microphones they have? How are they?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    They can be fairly mediocre compared with the competition.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by TommySulivan View Post
    I know a lot of us joke here about the Blue Snowball and Yeti but what about the rest of the microphones they have? How are they?
    I am a musician so I have a lot of mics around, and my current favorite mic for podcasting is the Blue Nessie. It solves a lot of common problems. It is a USB mic with a cardioid pattern, but it has a built in shock mount and pop filter. It also has a silent mic mute switch on the mic itself, and your headphones plug directly into the mic, allowing you to be a pretty good distance away from the computer and picking up hard disk noises. You can also adjust headphone volume by twisting the base but that is an awkward operation and you should mute first.

The other really useful feature for a podcaster is that it has three modes - Raw (no processing). Music, and, most importantly for a podcaster, Voice, which does some EQ and compression on the fly. This is really useful for people like me that are not disciplined enough to always be the same distance from the mic and really reduces editing time.

If you are interested in using the Blue Snowflake as a travel mic or whatever, also take a look at the Blue Eyeball. It is the exact same mic as the Snowflake, but with a pop-out video camera. The video is AWFUL, really slow to track movement. As a result, it got terrible reviews, and it can often be found at a lower price than the Snowflake, and it is the same mic.

I recently heard someone using a snow ball and it sounded amazing. His cohost (Via Skype) was also using one and it was awful. Is it possible that they changed something in later models to make them better?
    you best get steppin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast