International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JustinTV Cleans House

JustinTV Cleans House

Maybe Stickam's closing was just the tip of the iceberg.
    I guess times are tough at some of these CDNs.

Go to JustinTV
    http://www.justin.tv

at the bottom of the page see
    Check out Exec: Justin.tv cofounder Justin's newest house cleaning service
    which takes you to
    https://iamexec.com/cleaning

Note that Justin even lists it in his team profile.
    http://www.justin.tv/p/about_us

Given the competitive nature of the industry I'm going to guess
    Ustream will offer to wash your car.

Livestream will offer to do both but you will be required to buy all cleaning supplies from them.

Wow its really scary. I honestly think stickam closing is just the tip of the iceberg

When you start looking at the industry it does seem we may see some thinning of the heard.
    Consider Stickam gone.
    Justin going into an entirely unrelated field.
    Livestream developing hardware and software and the paid software isn't locked to their service.

I do know that many of these companies started with venture capital and it may be they're not yielding a good return on their investment.

A few years back I went to the Livestream office in NYC and they mentioned they could drop the entire free service and it would have virtually no impact on them. Basically ad based free services don't seem to be turning a profit or even covering costs.

I think its really tough. Many of these companies depend on investors and venture money. when the investors see that there is no real revune model in place they get scared. I think we will see a few independent streaming companies around but at the end of the day Youtube will be the king

YouTube, actually Google, may dominate the free services at some point.
    Even as a free service I still have some issues with using them though. I wouldn't doubt they'll be improving things though.

Livestream, Ustream, Bambuser all have paid services. They aren't dependent on free ad based income (and New Livestream has no ads at all but free has other limits).

It seems JustinTV only has a fee to remove ads for the viewer, not the producer channel. I'm not sure how they'll survive.

My issue with JTV is the fact that they have turned their back in Internet Broadcasters and even Life Casters. If your not gaming they dont care. Even thought they have created a site dedicated to gaming JTV still only supports and helps video game streams.

Yup, Twitch.
    You can see what their business thinking is
    http://www.twitch.tv/p/advertise
    They believe game growth will drive advertisers.

I wonder if Justin is just being left to wither.

I think thats fine as long as they keep it on Twitch and not JTV. We used to have a great relationship with JTV the one day all the emails stopped

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    We used to have a great relationship with JTV the one day all the emails stopped
    I think I've heard that from a couple of other producers as well. They may be pulling back resources. Their analysis on Twitch seems to be the anthesis. They are presenting arguments that seem to say there's no viable ad based revenue model for anything outside of gaming. I can see bifurcating services since each my benefit from different branding and service models but when you have one service whose business presentation to advertisers practically says, "don't advertise on our other service," that sends a message.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    There is no doubt in my mind that Google will dominate the game. Sadly, we saw what happened to Stickam... The future of Ustream, et al, will be dependent on whether their principals take the time to learn from the failures of their predecessors. Personally I don't think that they will. I hope I'm wrong...
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast