International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Bandwidth Simulation Test

Bandwidth Simulation Test

Hey everyone,
    So I finally got all of the equipment set up to begin a live morning broadcast for the announcements at my High School. We're planning to stream the video live to about 35 classrooms simultaneously in the beginning of the day. I have some more details below, but my main question is, does anyone know of a bandwidth test/simulator I can run on the network to see how the load is doing and if this is even possible? My last resort is to manually go to each classroom and go the webpage, but I need to do something to make sure we don't creash the network on launch day. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Details
    • School Bandwith is from local cable company. Speeds are 12/1.75
    • We've been lucky enough to partner with Influxis for streaming bandwith, so we will not be connecting to a Ustream or Justin, but to a simple webpage running Influxis embed. on a webserver on the nwtwork
    • I'm not sure about all the specs, but I believe the school has a pretty beefy infastrcuture.

Just on a side note, we're not planning to broadcast in HD. We'll be broadcasting at 480P SD, probably at 500k.
    Last edited by robistech; 01-08-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Web / Roku Developer RadarGaming's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robistech View Post
    Hey everyone,
    So I finally got all of the equipment set up to begin a live morning broadcast for the announcements at my High School. We're planning to stream the video live to about 35 classrooms simultaneously in the beginning of the day. I have some more details below, but my main question is, does anyone know of a bandwidth test/simulator I can run on the network to see how the load is doing and if this is even possible? My last resort is to manually go to each classroom and go the webpage, but I need to do something to make sure we don't creash the network on launch day. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Details
    • School Bandwith is from local cable company. Speeds are 12/1.75
    • We've been lucky enough to partner with Influxis for streaming bandwith, so we will not be connecting to a Ustream or Justin, but to a simple webpage running Influxis embed. on a webserver on the nwtwork
    • I'm not sure about all the specs, but I believe the school has a pretty beefy infastrcuture.
    Pushing to 35 classrooms simultaneously on 1.75 up is gonna be very hard to pull off. My school does a morning broadcast and we go over CCTV. It works great and we have no issues. Good luck!!
    For Web Design And More Check Out Craig Digital Designs!

Quote Originally Posted by RadarGaming View Post
    Pushing to 35 classrooms simultaneously on 1.75 up is gonna be very hard to pull off. My school does a morning broadcast and we go over CCTV. It works great and we have no issues. Good luck!!
    We used to use the CCTV method, but unfortunately we moved to a new campus with coax to some, but not all classrooms.

I have an idea, It may sound strange but it works! Download 35 (legal) torrents simultaneously on one computer and average the download speed. That may give you an idea of the bandwidth each classroom will have. And see if it is realistically enough to run the stream.

Web / Roku Developer RadarGaming's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Callahan View Post
    I have an idea, It may sound strange but it works! Download 35 (legal) torrents simultaneously on one computer and average the download speed. That may give you an idea of the bandwidth each classroom will have. And see if it is realistically enough to run the stream.
    That wont show you a good representation because with torrents you can get a constant download speed with torrents.
    For Web Design And More Check Out Craig Digital Designs!