International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Mixer should I get

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    While we're on the subject, I often hear broadcasters complain about noise in their mixers. In my experience, there are four primary reasons to have noise in an audio mixer:

1. Wiring Issue - It's really easy to interconnect various pieces of electronic equipment and get a ground loop. Using the wrong cables (unshielded or poorly shielded) can give very bad results.
    2. Cable Issue - Quality cables are expensive. Cheap cables can cause problems although they are usable if you're careful. Connectors on mixers can be intermittent.
    3. Interface Issue - If you don't properly match your levels into and out of your mixer, you can get signal-to-noise issues and overdrive issues. Level matching is a critical step.
    4. Mixer Issue - Mixers can be defective from the manufacturer or fail. The best way to diagnose a mixer problem is to disconnect everything except headphones and listen for noise.

Even the most inexpensive mixers available today have extremely low noise floors. The maturity of audio design is such that even low end audio equipment performs amazingly well. While it is possible to get a defective piece of equipment (ask Andrew Zarian about his dbx286s), it's unusual.

In conclusion, if you're having noise issues with your mixer, get busy doing some troubleshooting. It can almost always be fixed.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Mike is correct. There are many factors that come into play when we are trying to create "Good Audio". I have noticed many internet broadcasters are plagued with ground loop issues (Buzzing audio). Most of the time this is happening because of a USB Mixer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12