International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Mixlr

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar

Mixlr

In case you haven't heard of it, there is an absolutely fabulous audio bandwidth provider called Mixlr. They provide 96kHz stereo audio bandwidth for free. If you need additional capabilities, such as direct download, or if you want to support them to make sure they hang around, they have a paid plan for $8 per month that increases the bandwidth to 128kHz stereo.

The quality of their service is first-rate as is their customer service. They have recently added an iPhone app, but you have been able to listen to Mixlr feeds on mobile devices since the start. Every broadcast is automatically recorded. The recording can be exported to SoundCloud, Dropbox, Audioboo, or Mixcloud.

The three main problems I have with Mixlr is that you cannot manually start the recording, you cannot upload a replacement show, and there is no RSS feed to your recording. Since you cannot manually start the recording, if you do a 15-minute preshow, it's still there when someone plays your recording.

If you look at Mixlr as pure bandwidth, like I do, it's unbeatable. If you're using Blog Talk Radio, TalkShoe, Spreaker, or any other streaming service, you can simulcast on Mixlr. You have to drive the listeners to Mixlr with Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and such, but you should be doing that anyway.

I work with a terrestrial radio show that uses Mixlr to syndicate itself to another station in another state. There is a lag in broadcast, but it's a minor inconvenience.

If you haven't tried it before and this post causes you to try it, please post back and let me know if you are as enthusiastic about the service as I am. Also, if you don't already have an account, sign up with an email address and password. Don't use the Facebook or Twitter options, if they're offered to you.

mixlr-logo-final-75x105.gif
    Last edited by mcphillips; 12-22-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.