International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Mic do you use and why?

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    While I agree with much of what AgentPete says, I do not like the Shure SM7B at all. The windscreen is great for keeping lips off the grill, but to my ears, the mic sounds no better than an SM57. There are, however, many people who swear by the SM7B. I sold my two.
    I have to say that while I’m personally a fan of the EV RE20 and RE27, I’ve worked with both Shure mics and they can sound really good. What I’ve learned over the years is that as long as your levels are good most pro mics work pretty well.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

I wish I had the bank to get a Neumann U87. I use that in the commercial studios. My small studio mic of choice is the classic, all around great, "Larry King Special Edition" (just kidding) Electrovoice RE20. Man, what a great mic for the money!

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    The U87 is a great mic, as is the RE20. Many Internet broadcasters like the Heil PR40. Personally, for most people, I recommend the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB. It sort of looks like a cheap SM58, but it's much more, in our tests.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

IAIB Broadcaster
    I use a Samson Q2U which is the same as the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB. The Samson is on Amazon.co.uk for £57 atm and is a amazing Microphone not just for that price but overall I am very pleased for my buy but also Thanks to @mcphillips and @VanceWillis for there review.

I use a behringer C1 condensor microphone. When I started out I was on a budget and I didn't know what was a good microphone. I wish I had known about Mike Phillips' advice with the Audio Technica ATR2100-USB before I bought the behringer. I wouldn't recommend it. I am going to upgrade to the ATR2100 soon.

I'm playing around with a R0DE NTG-2 at the mo, I wanted a mic that could sit above the talent, out of frame on a boom stand when in the studio and in the field. R0DE have been my go to mic for many years and you stick with what you know I guess.

So should I not get a usb mic. I heard they sucks for internet broadcasting

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    No, that's not true. If you get an Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB, it will work as USB or as XLR. You have the better of both worlds. If you want to spend the money to get the cream of the crop, buy a Heil PR40.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

wow this was very helpful. I still do not know what microphone to select but I will be doing some homework on the microphones mentioned here

Here's another vote for the PR40 as being a very good mic, although ultimately I returned the Heil and settled on something else. It took four different mic's before I could find the one that fit my taste. Heck, if I were doing it over again I would have ordered three top choices of microphones at the same time and perform a side-by-side comparison. Even with using a Shure X2u USB interface as my only available computer input, I was able to clearly distinguish the characteristics between the various microphones.

I don't have the experience as many here on the forum but I have learned that selecting a microphone is about as subjective as selecting a new pair of shoes.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 10-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast