International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Recording cellphone interviews(Jk audio questions)

Recording cellphone interviews(Jk audio questions)

Hi all, first off let me say I have been skimming the pages here and really starting to enjoy this site and will reference people to it frequently. We are in pre-production of a weekly podcast and have everything worked out aside from taking callers. We are using a digital multitrack recorder(roland VS series) and the problem is the caller can not hear the hosts unless they speak into the phone. It sounds passable, but I come from a musical background and prefer everything on separate tracks for finer post-editing. I have been recommended to try the Celltap or Daptor one from JK Audio to provide the proper mix-minus and individual tracking control and uncertain if these are going to work or if we should look at the broadcast host or inkeeper. I am new to JK audio products and producing for internet radio in general so anyone with experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I am not the one of the hosts, This is being done for my company and I am simply ordering the supplies they(hosts) need and working out the kinks. We are not taking live callers, but we need this setup for guests who may not be able to be in studio for interviews due to traveling.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    What device are you using to connect to the phone line? Are you connecting the phone to the Roland? You're not sending a mix-minus signal to the phone.

Take a look at the Telos HX1 before you buy the JK hybrid.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Will do, for now we just rigged up a signal splitter and it works for now, but we'd like more advanced features like call ducking, and better overall sound quality, so we'll have to take a look at the telos and compare it with the jk audio.

Oh and we originally had the phone connected to a channel but as you said there wasn't any mix minus going on, so now our temporary solution has been splitting the signal and creating the mix minus through the aux sends, but we'd still prefer better quality, but this works as a temporary band-aid until we get a specialized device for this kind of thing.
    Last edited by RRE; 12-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.