International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Broadcasting - Making It a Career

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar

Internet Broadcasting - Making It a Career

Who here hopes to make Internet Broadcasting their career, and if you do, how do you plan on making it happen?
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

I do! I have been doing it full time for 2 years. You just need to take it one day at a time. Dont go into it with the idea that you are going to make money. Start out as a hobby

I certainly do, and am already half way there.

We have a healthy advertising budget (not huge, but healthy enough to keep the lights on). The next step is figuring out how to grow the audience while growing the advertising dollar. Although I am not a big fan of advertising, it is what it is and until we are in a good enough spot to seek out something different than this is the road we will continue on.

My ultimate goal would be to have two separate type of shows. The Entertainment show which would be paid for by the Corporate show (a show we produce for a company as their marketing tool). Until that happens; however, advertising is still our key to success.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    I'd love to, but it's probably not in the cards. If I help enough other people get their acts together, maybe they'll cut me in.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I would like to make a career out of my blogs and podcasts however I feel that since there are not a lot of podcasts out there that deal with what I do it will be hard. Also the kind of broadcaster is similar to the likes of Joan Rivers and Wendy Williams so it will be hard for me to appeal to the mainstream media and be marketable. I refuse to become a media minority stereotype for women of color.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess
    Podcaster/Beauty Blogger/New Media Culture Critic

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

I don't think at all one has to be "mainstream" to be marketable. In fact that may well lead to failure. You can target a niche market that may be very attractive to advertisers. If your goal is to make money selling advertising one should make a very serious study of ad sales and target marketing and be willing to focus on sales skills. It's a serious mistake to think that most advertisers need mass audience.

While I don't sell ads for my shows, I have produced local cable spots and done media buys. If your goal is selling time one has to know what advertisers are looking for and how to sell it.

If you have a strong skill set you're not at all limited to selling time on your own shows. You can get hired producing and engineering live streams for various clients.

My Passion

I have made it my goal to be a full time podcaster/internet broadcaster within the next 5 years. Its what I love to do. At some point these shows I'm producing have to become profitable sometime right??? Gosh I hope so.
    Founder/Program Director at spnt.tv
    Host of Who-Dey Weekly
    Host of Irish Impact
    Host of Red vs Red
    Host of Thursday Tech Talk
    Host of Redleg Weekly
    Host of Start Talking and Recording Today
    Producer of The Minor League Report

Cseeman in regard to what you have mentioned. From most of the successful podcasters had to appeal to a mainstream audience in order to a making a living out of it. It is hard to stay independent and not team up with people to be successful in this podcasting industry. Although I seen a few exceptions, but most new people like me are not given a chance unless you have someone supporting you or you have gain a larger niche audience which since I deal with race in the entertainment industry and talk about new media culture in regards to culture the audience is not really big for that in my opinion in order for sponsors or people to take me seriously. I feel that is the only way in order to gain creditability. I have tried to get sponsors and they have not given me a chance. I think because of what I deal with is a "risky" subject matter for them.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

In order to get sponsors you have to have a deliverable audience.
    You have to show analytics to potential advertisers and, if possible, demographics.
    Advertisers want to see the numbers and they general know the comparative rates to other mediums.
    The only risk is if they feel you'll have a negative rather than positive financial impact on business.
    If you prove valuable one of two things may happen. You do get picked up by a more successful "network" or you start your own.
    I know some very risky podcasters. They started in journalism though and built names so that when they went independent they're able to get funding. Yes pre established relationships are a major help. Sometimes you have to work part time for one of them while you develop on your own.

I am grateful the advice cseeman. But, I would rather start off as independent because then I feel that I have control over my content. I feel sometimes that people want to be something that I am not in regards to dealing with commercial mainstream media. They want to change my hair and personality. I know I will have a longer climb to the top but I feel that it will be worth it.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast