International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you pull the plug

When do you pull the plug

I wanted to know when you guys know to pull the plug on a show that is not working. My good friend has been podcasting for a while and only gets around 22 people that download his show. He is thinking about quiting and i was wondering when the right amount of time is for a show to go on.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    That's easy. When you lose your passion for doing the show, can it. If no one is listening or downloading, you will lose your passion for it.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdelfresco View Post
    I wanted to know when you guys know to pull the plug on a show that is not working. My good friend has been podcasting for a while and only gets around 22 people that download his show. He is thinking about quiting and i was wondering when the right amount of time is for a show to go on.
    If your friend is in it as a hobby and something fun to do and just enjoys doing the show then 22 people being entertained is 22 people... no huge number, but it is an audience of dedicated people.

If he wants to do more, then he might need to rethink his approach. If he is unsatisfied and it no longer becomes fun for him, then he should probably hang it up. If he wants to make it work then he probably needs to find out why the 22 download the podcast and how he can improve it and market it better...

At the same time, some shows and some personalities will just never go anywhere. Not everyone is cut out for the business and you have to know your limitation (that being said look at how many people have been rejected in the past only to find that right combination for success later in life).

I feel in order to be a podcaster you must have a drive and passion for it. For example, my show Condicast started off as a music show. But now I combine music and talk with hot-topic issues in regards to race and entertainment. I had no listeners at first and wanted to give up. But now, I am creating a movement of like-minded people and I know that my audience will grow over time. You just need to stick with it and not give up if you believe in it.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess
    Podcaster/Beauty Blogger/New Media Culture Critic

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

You pull the plug when you no longer have fun.

My first podcast "Marketing Musician" has been on the chopping block for some time. I've gone from a weekly schedule, to an almost never schedule. I have found a new source for content which will make it easier, and I also created an "Open mic" option for people in the audience who might want to host/co-host/produce a segment of the show. I haven't been in a band for years, and the creative juice I got from playing music I now get from creating podcasts (without having to lug around equipment, and be hassled by drunks). So to repeat what has already been said, when the passion is gone, and its not fun. Also if you make a show that is not part of your personality. As much as I complain, I have a hard time being a critic, or just being negative (key point) all the time. So I had a "Customer Service Show" that lasted about a month. My Podcast Review show, lasted about a month (its on a "whenever I feel like it" schedule). This then goes against my own advice of sticking with a schedule - whatever that schedule may be.
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

I feel when it comes to podcasting why should you have to stick to schedule? There are a lot of successful podcasters out there who don't. Any their fan base understands.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

You don't have to, but stats show that those who do grow their audience quicker. You are seen as reliable.
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

I see. I try to update mine three times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. But if I can't I usually let my listeners know and they are cool with it.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Man, I've felt like pulling the plug many times and my show has been on the air weekly, in one form or another, since 1998. What keeps me going are the emails from listeners who tell me that TBT has somehow helped them in their lives..Like the guy who recently wrote to tell me that he just had his first child and that he a wanted to thank me for doing what I do, because if it were not for my advice, he would never have had the courage to ask his wife on their first date and intern never would have had his kid. That's the shit that keeps me going…The money doesn't hurt either I guess.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast