International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Podcasters/Technologist

Female Podcasters/Technologist

Quote Originally Posted by Jadori View Post
    I am also open for guest appearances as well. I feel that there are not a lot of podcasters of color being recognized for what they are doing as well. Especially female podcasters.
    Depends on what demographic your talking about. Since I deal mostly with Tech, statistically most viewers are male. Most females are just not into technology (talking indepth, the science behind it ) They just want to use it and not necessarily what makes it work. I am a co-host on Techwebcast and also have a female co-host on weekly. She also has her own show as well as co-host on another show.

As far as shows featuring people of color. They do exist and are quite popular. On Youtube ( Although not technically a podcast except maybe youtube live ) Such as TechWilson one & Soldier Knows Best. In fact they have sponsors and at one time or another on revision 3 network.

Another thing you have to look at are statistics. Since African Americans comprise roughly 12 percent of the American population. Out of those how many podcast, out of those-how many are female. Each time the group gets smaller and smaller. It should not be why these groups are not being featured, but what can they do to get noticed. Statistically they are simply a much smaller group compared to the collected whole.

Subject matter or what your show is based on also has a big factor as well. Is the show, podcast or blog on a very niche subject?
    Last edited by Linuxcooldude; 11-24-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

In the two examples that you gave once again it proved the point that they were Black Males. It is hard to name off a woman of color. Also you mentioned that women are not into technology and that is not true at all. It is that generalization is the reason why it is hard for women to still get into the industry and to be taken seriously if they are not a sex symbol. If you are woman like myself and you like to talk about technology you are still at times considered to be a weirdo. Although I agree with what you mentioned about people of color being noticed but then again for White personalities those hurdles are non-existent due to popularity and it has been common due to mainstream society as well.

I feel that the only way people of color can get that same exposure is by acting one of the two extremes: Either they have to "act White" or become the stereotype of their particular ethnic group. On my shows, I try my best to play different genres of music and also present these kind of issues openly and honestly.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess
    Podcaster/Beauty Blogger/New Media Culture Critic

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

Quote Originally Posted by Jadori View Post
    In the two examples that you gave once again it proved the point that they were Black Males. It is hard to name off a woman of color. Also you mentioned that women are not into technology and that is not true at all. It is that generalization is the reason why it is hard for women to still get into the industry and to be taken seriously if they are not a sex symbol. If you are woman like myself and you like to talk about technology you are still at times considered to be a weirdo. Although I agree with what you mentioned about people of color being noticed but then again for White personalities those hurdles are non-existent due to popularity and it has been common due to mainstream society as well.

I feel that the only way people of color can get that same exposure is by acting one of the two extremes: Either they have to "act White" or become the stereotype of their particular ethnic group. On my shows, I try my best to play different genres of music and also present these kind of issues openly and honestly.
    I said statistically ( most, not all ) females are not that interested/geared into technology, a lot of data supports that. On my Youtube tech channel my viewers are 88.1% are male & 11.9% are female. This comes directly from analytics so its accurate. There is also a big shortage of females in mathematics and hard sciences, including technology. As far as jobs females get into and college classes they attend. I don't generalize, I actually researched this myself to form my own opinion ( When I was discussing the topic of the wage gap ).

While I mentioned the two African Americans, they were a technology based channel. I don't watch much else. So it does not take in account any other fields where women and/or African American women might participate in.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

I am curious to see where you got your research from in regards to the lack of women in technology. Also since you are only focusing on the analytics of your channel does not mean that women are not interested. I feel that the reason why there is a shortage of women in technology and science related fields is due to the fact that the imbalance is created after birth. Some girls are taught that wearing pink makes you feminine when the concept of feminism is a learned act. For me feminism becomes subjective according to the lady's interest. For example, I grew up around technology so I was influenced by it. Also, because technology is still a male-dominated industry it can make it harder for women to get in. They are being judged not on a equal playground. If you are not like Morgan Webb then you don't have a chance except if you are well-educated or you are made to be the exception.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

Also, because technology is still a male-dominated industry it can make it harder for women to get in
    But when you start looking into the types of college classes women take, it comes more apparent that its not necessarily that its harder for women to get into, but what they are generally more interested about.

http://chronicle.com/article/Rebooti...to-Get/135282/

This is only one of many articles, studies, surveys I've read about.
    Last edited by Linuxcooldude; 11-24-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Thank you for the article reference but once again the article itself is a generalization. It is not accounting women like myself who has taken an interest in technology besides computer science. Part of the problem is like what the article mentioned is at the high school level and even before that there is a stereotyping that occurs between girls and boys. I feel that one of the key issues is regards to the parents. From time to time, I see a girl who is interested in technology only for her parents to criticize her for it. But if she has a brother who is interested then this is encouraged. This is the reason why I supported female-owned media because we are the generation that will help to change things. I am even working on creating a workshop that discusses these kind of issues.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

I didn't see the article as generalizing, as It spoke primarily about the lack of women in the computer science field, but not outside that field. So it would not necessarily apply to you. But that was only one example that can lead to other sciences.

This is the reason why I supported female-owned media because we are the generation that will help to change things. I am even working on creating a workshop that discusses these kind of issues.
    I believe in a gender-neutral media. Trying to change any perceived wrongs by one gender, now or in the past, it will inevitably swing too far the other way. Putting both genders on an even keel will help prevent that. That is what its about, right? Equality.

because we are the generation that will help to change things.
    Things have always been changing, not just in this generation. Its just slow in getting there.

I personally believe that until more men would support women in new media then there would not be a need for female-owned media. With the way things are gender-neutral media is impossible. There are some issues that women are facing that some men do not put into considering. It is the Spike channel. It is designed for men even though they do have female viewers as well. But once again if you look at mainstream media especially in the video game industry it is still targeted for men. Although there are video games such as Final Fantasy that appeals to both genders. For example in the LGBT community transgendered people have faced a lot of issues due to the fact of the term transgendered. They are out casted in their own community because of trying to deal with neutrality or even just being themselves.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

I personally believe that until more men would support women in new media then there would not be a need for female-owned media. With the way things are gender-neutral media is impossible.
    That puts us in a conundrum. Nether gender trusting the other.

There are some issues that women are facing that some men do not put into considering. It is the Spike channel. It is designed for men even though they do have female viewers as well.
    Media based on gender is nothing new. Plenty of women cable channels to watch ( I do watch some of them too ) and I would not change the programming just to fit the male populous. In fact, I'm totally against it...lol.

They took my beloved SciFi channel changed it to SYFY. Then put wrestling and a bunch of reality shows. Now I don't watch it anymore.
    Last edited by Linuxcooldude; 11-24-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Then you must be the exception to the rule then. Because most of the men that I know would not watch female-based programming. For me, it is not the fact that I don't trust men I think it is due to a portion of the male population who still believe in the separation of gender and it will take a lot of work for any equality to happen. Until I can meet a guy who has no problem with female CEO's then we still have a long way to go. In regards to SYFY it is a sign of the times. Sci-Fi is not really as popular in the mainstream anymore. It has from my view has more of a cult-following or is underground. In regards to reality TV, it is nothing new. It is cheaper to produce and also everyone likes to be in everyone's business anyways.
    Jadori
    The "Blasian" Duchess

Check out My Blog:
    Condicast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast