International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Next Major update to Vidblaster - HD Optimization

Next Major update to Vidblaster - HD Optimization

Over the weekend Mike said he would be working on HD optimization in Vidblaster. I think this is great news to many users who have been stream. hopefully this fixes some of the issues we have been facing when recording/Broadcasting at higher resolutions

IAIB Pro Broadcaster
    I'd argue that it's too little too late. Once you've spent all the money needed to build a VidBlaster system that comes close in production capability to that of NewTek's TriCaster 40, you've spent just as much or close enough for a system that just can't do as much, and isn't as reliable. Software switchers have hit a wall. We should also note that Mike is saying "further HD optimisations". If you recall he did this around the same time last year. What can he change now that he couldn't then?
    Last edited by joedemax; 11-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Joe you have a point. I'm a huge fan of the TC40 but lets put the other costs into consideration. For people who are using webcams Vidblaster, Wirecast and other software switchers are the only options. I do think there is a place for both and I do expect many IB'ers to go over to the TC40

IAIB Pro Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Joe you have a point. I'm a huge fan of the TC40 but lets put the other costs into consideration. For people who are using webcams Vidblaster, Wirecast and other software switchers are the only options. I do think there is a place for both and I do expect many IB'ers to go over to the TC40
    Webcam's come with their own limitations. If you're at the point when you're looking at a hardware mixer like the TriCaster i doubt you're using webcams.

Yea but how about the people who have not reached that point. We all need to start somewhere.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Yea but how about the people who have not reached that point. We all need to start somewhere.
    Ofcourse! But for the purpose of comparing a TC40 to a spec'd out VidBlaster rig the cost of cameras and such is irrelevant. We're comparing just the switching system here, and nothing else.

Personally I see analog input as a very serious disadvantage. It's audio inputs are also an issue.
    See the review on Streaming Media
    http://www.streamingmedia.com/Produc...-40-86398.aspx

One can build your own "locked box" just as reliable and with more features for similar money.

The video post production industry left turnkey "locked boxes" a long time ago for good reason. Certainly there's something to be said for stability if you can't change anything but there's a lot to be said for the inability to expand.

If I'm beyond webcams I'm using HD-SDI and not analog. At the very least I'd be using HDMI.

I find this interesting
    http://1beyond.com/products/eventstr...eventstreaming

HD-SDI in. 4 ISO records. Wrangler is $5000.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    Personally I see analog input as a very serious disadvantage. It's audio inputs are also an issue.
    See the review on Streaming Media
    http://www.streamingmedia.com/Produc...-40-86398.aspx

One can build your own "locked box" just as reliable and with more features for similar money.

The video post production industry left turnkey "locked boxes" a long time ago for good reason. Certainly there's something to be said for stability if you can't change anything but there's a lot to be said for the inability to expand.

If I'm beyond webcams I'm using HD-SDI and not analog. At the very least I'd be using HDMI.
    Craig,

I must disagree with you here. I've been using a NewTek TriCaster 40 for the past few months and at no point has the analog only inputs been an issue. It's infact been easier seeing as one doesen't have to wrangle HDMI's issues such as EDID and HDCP and it look's GREAT! Every input on the TriCaster always works. I've never had to fight with HDMI handshakes and reboot stuff to get inputs to work like I've had to in the past.

I also don't see how your own locked box using software could ever be as reliable as the TriCaster. TriCaster is MUCH more than software running on a standard computer. All the video processing is done in hardware that NewTek's hardware engineers designed from the ground up. Also the software is modular. If one crashes it just reloads and the system keeps running. If a software video mixer has ever crashed on me the whole thing has locked up with no recourse.
    Last edited by joedemax; 12-01-2012 at 07:38 AM.

I've compared outputs of various cameras directly. In every case the SDI or HDMI output is far better than component out, without exception. I know of no other streaming device on the market that opted for analog inputs. Digital inputs have become far too inexpensive to use anything else. Whether it's Blackmagic Quad, MatroxVS4 or the ATEM series or any of the other multi input devices, digital in is cleaner and when it comes to codecs and compression, any noise or aberration in the source gets amplified.

Couple that with the problems of having to run component cables during a location stream and you have a bit of a nightmare setup.

The only viable alternative I've had pros suggested is to use convertor boxes. That would me Blackmagic HD-SDI to Component convertors. This would allow you to take the very clean SDI out and have long cable runs and use the convertor right at entrance into the Tricaster. In that case, you'd be getting a very clean component in. Of course at that point, at about $300 per convertor, you're spending about $1200. That alone is in the price range of a 4 SDI input card. That'a a lot of extra work to get to the point you should be starting at. Keep in mind the convertors have to be powered so that's just one more encumbrance especially for in the field setup.

When dealing with analog inputs, generally I'd want to have a waveform and vector scope to monitor inputs. Tricaster doesn't have scopes. It's the only Tricaster model I know of that doesn't have them and yet it would probably be most critical given the analog inputs.

I also think a single 1/4" and RCA audio inputs is a limit. You're forced to use a mixer. The internal transition don't transition the audio.
    Granted people are faced with a variety of mixing situations but I think audio in with each camera should be a given. I find it too useful too often.

While the Tricaster 40 can record 720p, it records 1080 interlaced. Not really good if you're feeding 1080psf sources (progressive embedded in interlace).

It's recording either H.264 or, more professionally MPEG2 I-Frame 4:2:2 8 bit. That's OK but I'd prefer to record Apple ProRes or DNxHD in 10 bit. That's not that big a deal for most people though. This is minor. That it would be 1080 interlaced is not good IMHO.

Of course NewTek tries to make their boxes as reliable as possible and locked boxes tend to be more reliable because they are single purpose systems in which updates are authorized if one plans to keep reliability. In the real world I've heard some serious horror stories. If a Tricaster crashes, they're not designed for user trouble shooting, nor do you have a backup system unless you bought another Tricaster. If you need a repair there's another delay to contend with. Obviously these aren't common but when they happen they are show stoppers in the worst way. On mission critical streams from a computer I always have the option of having two computers or, at the very least, the ability to quickly create a clean admin account.

Then there's the cost of upgrades over time. Generally it means buying a new box. With computer based systems you have more flexibility.

What NewTek offers is great software but I think they've seriously short changed the hardware. Superficially it can't simply be due to cost given how inexpensive 4 SDI input cards are which cary both video and audio and at much better quality.