International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: USB over Cat5 question

USB over Cat5 question

I am going to be broadcasting a large event for work on a very limited budget and I have run into a problem that I was hoping to get an answer to. Any and all solutions are most welcome.

I need to stream 4 cameras (logitech c920) to my computer in order to run Wirecast as my switching program and I need to run more than 100' for each camera. I know that USB will not be able to go those distances so I have been looking into using a USB over Cat5 connection. However, when I tried an unpowered USB over Cat5 connector I saw a dramatic reduction in video quality. Would using a powered USB over Cat5 solve that problem, or will this solution not work?

Right now the space that has been chosen is wired for Cat5 and I will be able to plug into the main switch station (not sure what it is called in computer terminology) with signal running through the walls, then out to my cameras.

Thank you in advance.

FFGRT,

I just streamed a very nice wedding with 3 cameras and some runs were 100' so i used coax cable with quad shielding (rca to coax connection on each end of cable) and it worked great. I had audio separate from video and used canon gl 2 cam and sony hd cameras. One webcam for overall view. As far as i know without any kind of enhancements you cannot use usb over 15' or so. If you can borrow one or two video cameras you will find it a lot easier to deal with. Four 100' Rolls of coax was less than 100 bucks.

Not sure you will have much luck with Cat5. Hope this helps some.

Bill

I may be able to help. There's a cool device called a balun that converts different signals, usually HDMI, to CAT5 and run it long distances. A quick google search brought back some interesting results. Here's one I found. I have never used one, but in theory, it should work.

I would love to hear from some more members if this is something that would work. I have tried to using a 50 foot USB Extender with a Logitech C910 and it was a disaster. At times the Camera would lose signal. The longest USB Extender I have been able to use is 20 feet.

Maybe Sunkast or Joedemax would have an answer.

USB over Cat5

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I would love to hear from some more members if this is something that would work. I have tried to using a 50 foot USB Extender with a Logitech C910 and it was a disaster. At times the Camera would lose signal. The longest USB Extender I have been able to use is 20 feet.

Maybe Sunkast or Joedemax would have an answer.

USB over CAT5 is not yet enhanced for video, u lose quality and fps.
    I used RCA over Cat5 and the quality is supur, u harddly see the difference, u need a good convertor,
    i currently used those from Griffin, and i just bought this one
    http://www.muxlab.com/products/ve_avd_2w_av_balun.html,
    haven't tested it as yet, as i purchsed ONE, i thougth they were sold in pairs, but only by singles, so i have to purchased the other one..

The Griffin on the other side is a bit more cost, but sold in pairs, and that i have no issues with..
    The Griffen, uses power, the MuxLab uses no power, so i assume the Griffen might be a better quality