International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PR40 vs RE20 What to get?

All great advice, especially if you have the budget for the "Gold Standard," which is the RE20. However, Rode has a great alternative which is what I would call a cross between the RE20 and the PR40, called the "Procaster." The big hook on this one, other than the sound, is the price. You can purchase the Procaster with a shockmount and boom currently for $367 on Amazon. But to compare the sound Click Here for this mic comparison. One other good feature that the Procaster has in common with the RE20 is the proximity, unlike the PR40, which requires you to be much closer and is less forgiving with proximity... but that's great for noise rejection. Of course, so many other things will effect the quality, but your environment will dictate most of your issues.
    Last edited by docizzen; 10-14-2013 at 11:01 AM.

The best advice I can give someone is to try the mic before you buy it. Everyones experience will be different. I sound awful on a RE20 but great on an SM7. I have heard the opposite from many other people.

Perhaps I was lucky or I just like hearing myself talk as I felt that I sounded good on the PR40 and the RE20. The PR40 was a lot brighter by comparison but not in a bad way. At the time I couldn't justify both so I returned the Heil, but in hindsight I wish I had kept both and just skipped Starbucks for a few days.

Update: As it stands I'm interested in trying the Se Electronics RN17. Yeah I know, but still.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 12-15-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Updated content

Has anyone else here used the Rode Procaster? what did you think of it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12