International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Slingbox

Wink Slingbox

Hey everyone my name is Chris and I have an online video ministry. We do a lot of VOD and streaming video for our events and teaching series. I am looking to use sling box as a alternative to Skype to blast events/shows from other locations back to my home studio and then out to the web. I know Twit has done this but was just wondering if any of you guys have used it for this purpose. I have been a member for a while and excuse my lurking but I enjoy the site and look forward to participating more.

Chris

IAIB Pro Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnitzel View Post
    Hey everyone my name is Chris and I have an online video ministry. We do a lot of VOD and streaming video for our events and teaching series. I am looking to use sling box as a alternative to Skype to blast events/shows from other locations back to my home studio and then out to the web. I know Twit has done this but was just wondering if any of you guys have used it for this purpose. I have been a member for a while and excuse my lurking but I enjoy the site and look forward to participating more.

Chris
    It works as a good hardware encoder. Skype's advantage is the extremely low latency. There is however something to be said for using a dedicated appliance to send the video stream.

what resolution would you be sending back Via the slingbox?

Thanks Joe and Andrew for the response. I am going to start with a Slingbox solo SD and stream it to a Google TV box out into a USB capture card to Wirecast. We tried to use Skype once to stream a speaker at an event but it was very poor video quality. Latency wouldn't be an issue because we just do a short intro and ending to the event from out location. The big idea would be to send this solo box out to event locations have them hook it up and then broadcast the event from our studio.

Slingbox works great, just that u need to have proper bandwidth..
    i have using it on more than one occasion,

It's a pitty it was intended for the TV viewers that want' to view TV from home, and not for the Broadcasters, else they would have worked a bit more better on the video compression.

But all in all, i did a few shows with it, and its' good, just need to get the tuning good

A quick follow up.. The Slingbox works great! I am now looking at going with the new HD box. We have been able to stream live from several events remotely with minimal setup at the location. I plan to use the HD box to stream shows from remote hosts in other locations. I have also had a chance to try the wifi model connected to my LTE hotspot and it came out great as a mobile setup. I will try to get some pics from the next event.

How much latency is there? How are you doing the back channel?

There is anywhere from 30 - 45 seconds latency. We are not doing any type of back channel, we do a pre show from our studio and monitor the event and when it is starting we cut over to the feed and then come back to the studio for a post show. The speaker can do his presentation using slingbox back to my studio and then I broadcast it out live. This helps a lot in a few ways mainly for me because not all of my "hosts" have updated computers or very tech savvy so this makes things simple, and no PC needed. It wouldn't be ideal for everyone but its been a way to get HQ video without the need for skype or a computer at the location.

Wow, 30 - 45 seconds is amazing. That would definitely not work for a 2 way conversation. Thanks for explaining, that would be a great solution for a one way stream from a speaker or meeting into a remote location.

I would love to find out how much better or worse the quality is compared to skype. for some of our shows it is not necessary to have extremely low latency. Has anyone here tried this in HD?
    you best get steppin