International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDX4600 Compressor

Smile MDX4600 Compressor

Hi all,

Any views on the MDX4600 compressor and the best settings to achieve sound with as little hiss as possible.

We use a DBX 286s and its great. We don't use to much processing but the Gate limiter is amazing

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    The honest truth is to eliminate as much of the hiss as possible before it gets into your equipment. Reduce fan noise, AC noise, add curtains or carpet or blankets around the room, use a dynamic mic. Noise removal is very difficult.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Yeah I would say try to remove as much of the noises as possible. This can be tough with computer fans. That is why these new all in one liquid cooling kits that don't require maintenance is great! Plus they are extremely quite.

A dynamic microphone is a great way to remove a ton of noise from the room. I use one on my show and it stopped all of the fan noises and other stuff. They have great side rejection and they do require some learning to use but nothing too bad.

A gate is another great way to remove noise! Nobody can tell you the correct settings because it is different for each person's setup and or room. You just have to play around with it. Also the quality of the gate really matters. I had a MDX 4600 and the gate was REALLY slow to close no matter how you set it. It gave me this whooshing effect when I would stop talking. I tried every way till Tuesday to get it to work better and nothing.

I have a PreSonus 16.0.2 digital mixer now and the gate on this thing is a beast! It is so quick and everything is so quite now. I know not everyone can get a PreSonus but if you're running all dynamic microphones and ground loop isolators on all your computer inputs to remove that "HUM" that is famous in the internet broadcasting world, you should be good to go!
    Last edited by JaseRossi; 09-14-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Jase Rossi | Founder, Lead Reviewer and Host of ReBoot! The Anything and Everything Gaming Podcast at www.Nerdmunky.com

Follow me on Twitter :@jaserossi

That's some awesome stuff. I purchased the MDX as a recommendation from Cliff Ravenscraft. I do sometimes hear the opening and closing of the gate. I don't bother trying to use Auditions noise removal because it never sounds right. I'll play around with the gate some more and see what happens !

Quote Originally Posted by shorter126 View Post
    I don't bother trying to use Auditions noise removal because it never sounds right.
    I've never cared much for Audition's noise removal tool myself. But if all you are wanting to do is gate your audio, then I would recommend trying out GGate. It's a free VST plugin that works very well when set up correctly. I use it any time I record a voice over.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

I think my major problem is that the recording is fine , however post production compression in adobe audition raises the noise floor and introduces hissing

I use an MDX2600 and it works amazingly on my audio.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Here's a my setting tip for the Behringer MDX:

Expander Gate Section:
    Trigger: OFF in the winter because it's nice and quiet in the studio...no A/C running
    Trigger: ON, with the Gate button engaged
    ...I turn on the noise source (A/C) and then I turn the trigger up until the gate trips (all red led's light up)

Compressor/Limiter:
    Threshold: this depends on how exuberant I feel (loud spikes/dynamics) but generally I keep it between -20 and -10 db
    Ratio: I generally like mild compression ratio (4:1) at the most...the MDX is quick attack so it's hardly noticeable
    SC buttons - disabled
    Attack: 20ms...compress quickly
    Lo Contour: disabled
    Release: 2sec...release slowly (works well with mild Ratio setting...if you had higher Ratio's...you'd need faster release)
    Auto button: disabled (I like to control it myself)
    Interactive Knee: enabled...dynamic detection of changing/variation in audio signal
    Tube: enabled...why not?
    Enhancer: enabled...why not?
    Output: Zero...typically since my signal is not over-compressed...I don't need to boost.

De-esser Section:
    db: 2
    In/Out: Enabled
    Male: Enabled...I am male.

Peak Limiter:
    db: ~5 - just in case I drop the mic or an explosion happens

The nice thing with MDX is that it has an IN/OUT button (not a belly button or navel).

You should make a recording with the settings ON - and then OFF - on and off...to hear the difference.

Tweak to taste.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    The honest truth is to eliminate as much of the hiss as possible before it gets into your equipment. Reduce fan noise, AC noise, add curtains or carpet or blankets around the room, use a dynamic mic. Noise removal is very difficult.
    What kind of fan that has no noise?
    regarding blankets, you mean any particular type of blankets?
    Last edited by MGadAllah; 03-14-2014 at 05:53 AM. Reason: you mean any particular type of blankets?
    Mohamed GadAllah
    EGYPT-Cairo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast