International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying for your CDN - Is it worth it to pay to stream live

Paying for your CDN - Is it worth it to pay to stream live

While listening to Comptuers2know yesterday the discussion of paying for a CDN came up. Even though services like Justin.tv, Stickam, Bambuser and Ustream do a great job some of them have gone overboard with the ads.

Do any of you pay for a streaming CDN. If show who do you use?

My setup is at Livestream and Justintv and i dont see the difference in the amount of ads. However I have not watched enough of their content to have a accurate account of how many commercials they have. I cannot pay their fees no matter how high they are. Not now.

Currently, we use Justin.tv (twitch.tv). None of our viewers have ever complained about the ads, they tend to be nonintrusive and it's not that bad.

One thing to note though, is most ad blockers, block those ads.
    Host and Founder: GeekGamer.TV
    The Network for Geeks, Gamers and Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Nunes View Post
    Currently, we use Justin.tv (twitch.tv). None of our viewers have ever complained about the ads, they tend to be nonintrusive and it's not that bad.
    One thing to note though, is most ad blockers, block those ads.
    The ads we had problems with are are not the standard banner ads at the bottom, but the pre-roll and mid-roll videos that ustream was running. These videos do not cache your video when they play, and then continue where you left off, but they cut (depending on their length) a chunk of your show. So if you are doing a "who done it" type of show, and they decided to run a mid-roll add right when you were going to announce the 'who done it' the audience would miss it.
    As a result of the bambuser two hours down time last Wed. evening, right in the middle of one of our shows, I decided to subscribe to Dacast (dacast.com), after hearing about them from Tom Sinclair (thatvidblasterguy.com). Their rates are reasonable, $25 a month ($19 if you pay yearly) for 100GB of bandwidth and unlimited viewers. What you don't use, rolls to the next month. I am going to use their service as a backup for now.

In the process of changing a lot of the things we do and one of those is finding which alternative to UStream I want to make my streamng provider of choice. UStream is great when it comes to a lot of things, but the ads drive me insane (maybe the listeners don't care)...

I mean if it were just a pre-roll, fine. They have to take their cut, but we hear about it when people are trying to watch and they get cut off by an ad right in the middle of a great story.

I am on the fence about ad blockers. I don't like penalizing a company for needing to cover the bills... at the same time, UStream, especially, goes overboard with their annoying ads. I am looking at DaCast.com and TVoop.com as backups as well.

I am willing to pay for something that can offer me these few things at an affordable rate.

HD Video
    No Ads
    Adjustable Bitrate for the stream

Any CDN that offers control of the ads such all viewers see them at the same time would have a wining free solution.
    If you could just break for a commercial at one would do in broadcast TV, people would flock to that service.

A while back I did speak to one CDN that said ad based free streaming isn't very profitable. It barely covers costs so they claimed. Being a paid CDN makes much more business sense.
    DaCast starter price certainly does look reasonable for a show starting out.
    http://www.dacast.com/streaming-pricing-plans.html

So how are these CDNS surviving ? Stickam , Ustream and JTV have all been here for a while. I would imagine the costs are insane to keep them running.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    So how are these CDNS surviving ? Stickam , Ustream and JTV have all been here for a while. I would imagine the costs are insane to keep them running.
    Andrew, this is a very good question. I suspect some are still searching for and revising their business model. Almost all are built on venture capital and some "angel" funding. Ustream, for example, has played with various paid models ranging from Watershed, now Ustream's own paid service, users themselves paying to eliminate ads. These companies generally don't reveal their financial situation. I suspect the venture capital is keeping them afloat.

BTW I'd also note that one of the potential ad buyers is us, content producers. My own CDN has been asking me if we'd like to buy advertising to boost the audience. This would mean running ads for our show, during other producer's shows.

There are, from what I understand, fundamental problems with the value of ad buys for online video. It's across the entire industry whether it's the repurposing of broadcast content or direct to internet live content. It's severely undervalued by the ad buyers compared to broadcast/cablecast.

BTW I think the economics of the industry is a worthy thread topic on its own. Not only from the producer but understanding the CDNs as well.
    Last edited by cseeman; 09-11-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Use Ustream at the moment, partnered with them after some successful live broadcasts. Got them to build a custom tool to let me cue up ads during the broadcast, which has been received extremely well by viewers.

Also talking with Veetle.com, one of the best high quality live streaming sites I've come across.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast