International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Best Micophone for under 200 Dollars

Best Micophone for under 200 Dollars

Since many up and coming Internet Broadcasters are on a budget I was wondering what the best microphone would be for under 200 dollars. The Microphone that I use is the Electro Voice Cardinal and it goes for under 150 dollars.

What Microphones do you guys like that go for under 200 dollars and would be ideal for someone doing Internet Broadcasting / Podcasting?

You can't go wrong with the good old, Shure SM-58. Almost everyone agrees it is the standard vocal microphone, and for $100 you can't beat it. As far as other suggestions, I use a Sterling ST-51 condensor mic. Not really the best choice out there, but I get pretty good quality for it, it's about $100 too. The MXL-990 is also a standard with podcasters. For $80 (shop around) you can get the mic and a smaller secondary mic along with it. And if you're looking for a beginning, USB mic, the Samson C01U and Audio Technica AT-2020 are both popular choices.

ATR 2100 is tops in my book and has USB and XLR to play with.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Like Rich, I'm partial to the ATR2100-USB.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

lol I knew Mike was going to say that!!

I use a MXL 990 with the $30 windscreen that's made for it. I'm pretty happy with it, other than the fact it's a side-address mic. I'm going to try a MXL 770, since it's black and comes with a shockmount that fits it for $80 on Amazon. The MXL 770 has a bass cut, and since the 990 can be a bit bassy with my voice, it may allow me to EQ it better.

I bought a samson co1 because I saw the GFQ NETWORK using it. I really like it and it was under 100 dollara

Up until a few weeks ago I was using Behringer C-3 Mics which run about $60. They are a condenser mic so they need phantom power. Recently on the recommendation of Mike Phillips (the Yoda of audio) and Joe deMax I switched to the At2005USB from Audio Technica. These mics sound great for the price ($81). I recommend that you go to your local music store and try the mics and find the one that best suits your voice.
    Richard Cleveland
    Producer/Host
    Naked Ape Productions
    http://nakedapeprod.com