International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: auto-mated reruns

auto-mated reruns

Hi one and all,
    on our website, we have a daily live talk show, which is then recorded and saved on the website so folks can watch.
    now on the site, we have the LIVE VIDEO window where the show can be seen when it's live

Now, when the show is off line, this window just is there blank, we want to make use of that window to send an auto-mated feed..
    Where it will just be showing different shows, recordings, clips videos etc.

So what we are looking for is a program where we can load all the shots/videos up, and let them play one after the next, so there is always something going, and not just the VOD that we have their for viewing pleasure..

Anyone has any idea of any streaming software that you can cue up your videos and leave them un-attended.

thanks..

A mate of mine does this using wirecast, when he is not broadcasting live it just replays his past episodes etc, maybe he is using 3rd party video player and sending it to wirecast via desktop presenter, will try & find out for you, I'v never tried to set it up but I do know its possible.

Vidblaster does have a video playlist setting, maybe this would work, you'll have to ask some of the Vidblaster users, I'm not one of them :P
    Last edited by washproof; 08-15-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by washproof View Post
    A mate of mine does this using wirecast, when he is not broadcasting live it just replays his past episodes etc, maybe he is using 3rd party video player and sending it to wirecast via desktop presenter, will try & find out for you, I'v never tried to set it up but I do know its possible.

Vidblaster does have a video playlist setting, maybe this would work, you'll have to ask some of the Vidblaster users, I'm not one of them :P
    Depending on what streaming software you use, this can be extremely simple. I use Wirecast as my main broadcasting tool, and I use it to stream, switch, and record my shows. When not live, I use the free open source media player VLC, to make a playlist of videos I want put into re-runs, and then play them back. This can get a little tricky since I am running them off of another machine, I have to route the audio through a mixer and feed it into the Wirecast machine to get audio. Video is simple. Just fire up Desktop Presenter to capture the screen. I then put up a bug in one of the corners of the video that says Perviously Recorded, and I'm done. VLC will play that playlist and loop through it.

If you have any questions, let me know. I can even do a video walk through that might be a little more clear to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by robistech View Post
    Just fire up Desktop Presenter to capture the screen. I then put up a bug in one of the corners of the video that says Perviously Recorded, and I'm done. VLC will play that playlist and loop through it.
    As easy as that, i didn't even thought of such a simple home made trick, so use to using specific apps geared to specific task...

But i'll try it if i don't find a nice suitable app, i started googling some IPTV apps to do job...
    but will use this trick in the mean time..

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sidimustafa View Post
    As easy as that, i didn't even thought of such a simple home made trick, so use to using specific apps geared to specific task...

But i'll try it if i don't find a nice suitable app, i started googling some IPTV apps to do job...
    but will use this trick in the mean time..

thanks
    No problem. If you're looking for a dedicated app, you can use one called Just:Play from a company called Tools On Air. I've never actually used this, but it has a lot of nice automated features that may be just what you're looking for. Not sure on price either and I know TWiT was planning to use it.

In regards to Tools on Air, apparently the problem TWiT had is they had a hard time breaking into live programming from it... the "go live" function didn't work very well. But a piece of software like this would be very useful for being able to run ads, etc and then be able to bill for them properly after the fact, since the program can log the ad plays.

Another program that's inexpensive that can do video playlists and stream video is XSplit. They have a video playlist feature that while simple, seems to work pretty well. However, it's impossible to edit the playlist without having to restart the playlist. VLC seems to work well for playlists, since you can edit the playlist while it's running, but either requires another computer to stream the playlist or some fancy screen capture/second monitor to make it look good without showing the playlist editing on-air.

Another program I've played around with is Wirecast ShotKicker. It's quite a kludge, not easy to use, but it works.

An alternative to Just:Play is Softron's OnTheAir. But it is not inexpensive, unfortunately. I reckon that VLC would do the job just fine. A second monitor isn't that bad, is it?
    Aleksander Steffensen
    Steffensen Multimedia

I agree VLC is a great option for playing your content.

IAIB Broadcaster
    On the Mac you can use CamTwist as well. It has a playlist feature or just load up a VLC Playlist and stream the screen. Not a difficult problem at all.

On the PC Vidblaster has a player or you can do the VLC Playlist thing as well.

Just to be clear on Wirecast Mac it see CamTwist just like it sees Desktop Presenter.
    Create Playlist in CamTwist and Wirecast sees it as a source.
    Very simple.

On the Wirecast Windows side, there's a couple of people who are developing free playlist software that works with Wirecast.
    ShotKicker 2.0 for Wirecast.