International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about starting show

Agree with Spencer that was great stuff

LucaB, there are a number of things to consider.
    Services like JustinTV, UstreamTV, Livestream each have their strengths. When you're starting out you may need to consider your show's technical needs when evaluating which free service to use.

Each handles social media and even chat a bit differently.

Livestream also has its free Procaster and additional functions in its Studio.

Ustream has its Producer and has a paid path to more features. It also has some additional online features.

Livesream allows mobile sources through Qik whereas Ustream and Just have mobile streaming apps (New Livestream will have a mobile streaming app but it's a paid only service so far).

All allow to use your own streaming software as well but free Livestream limits upload speed to 500kbps when not using Procaster.

You also want to consider your social media strategy for building your audience. Look at what they provide. Consider what you can develop on your own through Twitter, Facebook and your own website of course. Don't let the website be an obstacle though because you can start with Facebook. Facebook even has plugins for some services so people can view the streams there.

Both your format and tech needs may impact your decision as well. Are you going to have Skype guests or callers? Are you going to have more than one camera in studio? Do you also want to show stuff on your desktop whether webpages or other things? What is your ISP bandwidth capacity and have test to see if there are packet loss or other service issues that need to be addressed. If you use multiple services how are you going to handle centralizing chat?

Just a few things to consider as part of picking which channel you head to to start.

I'm going through this learning process right now. Doing a show is the best way to quickly learn. My basic setup worked fine when I did a show where everyone was in the same place, but once I skyped my co-host in things started to get tricky. Doing the show taught me more in one hour than all the reading I did combined.

Some basic things I learned quickly:
    My upstream bandwidth was not enough when a person was calling in via skype.
    I need a better process for monitoring my sound level as everything sounded right in my headphones, but only by co-host could be heard on the stream.
    Vidblaster can max out my AMD Phenom CPUs without much effort.
    Ustream will not save my show unless I click the record button.

But now I have worked though some of those and am on to learning things like graphic overlays and embedding video on my website.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    WOW cseeman...What a fantastic contribution to the community! It’s people like you who are willing to take the time to share their extensive knowledge of internet broadcasting who will really help to evolve this field. Great job, I’m really impressed. @ Micky Keck...Great tips!
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Micky, the CPU usage with VidBlaster is one of my concerns about it.
    I do some mobile streaming from laptops. Sometimes I go to a location whether its a performance event at a club or a talk at a local college. While I have a Quad Core i7, I've had to use a Core2Duo in the past.

With the Core2Duo I've been able to:
    Use a Sony EX1 or Canon Vixia camera with a Matrox MXO2 (downscaling to Standard deff in hardware) to Express card.
    I can use a DV camera on firewire.
    Use a webcam as a host camera. (webcam points to me, the host, behind the computer and the other video cams points to the subject).
    Stream at 640x480 or 640x360 at 500kbps.

With an Quad Core i7 I can throw a bit more at it.
    I do this with Wirecast.
    VidBlaster has some nifty features for desktop use but often enough I use a laptop and still want something that looks like a switched, composited stream. Also Wirecast can handle multiple audio sources (each camera's audio separately) so I don't need to bring a mixer.

Granted Wirecast has a higher starting price and if you need to go live with a trial version, VidBlaster's watermark isn't too intrusive.

I'm bringing this up because streaming from a laptop is a consideration for some shows especially if you need easy location setup.
    Last edited by cseeman; 05-05-2012 at 12:35 PM.

very well said cseeman.

I was thinking of doing a video podcast as well. But, I feel that I am self-conscious about my looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadori View Post
    I was thinking of doing a video podcast as well. But, I feel that I am self-conscious about my looks.
    I would say do what feels comfortable at first, but as you continue, push yourself outside the comfort zone a little bit and try it out. Whether it is showing off your artwork to the public for the first time, trying something new technically, or stepping out in front of people (on the mic, stage or on video) at some point everyone who is an artist, performer or entertainer has had to go out of their comfort zone to take that next step.

If you try it and feel you will never get comfortable with it, then stick to what works for you.

I definiity will give it a shot sometime! Thanks BradShoemaker you are my hero!

This is why the IAIB is awesome! tons of great info here!

You know it seems a lot of people are always asking about mix-minus, Maybe I should do a video for the IAIB on the basics of it and how to set it up, what happens when you do it wrong and when you do it right. I know you can look up other videos on mix-minus but sometimes they make it seem harder then it needs to be hehe.
    Jase Rossi | Founder, Lead Reviewer and Host of ReBoot! The Anything and Everything Gaming Podcast at www.Nerdmunky.com

Follow me on Twitter :@jaserossi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast