International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Will Radio Take over Podcasting?

Will Radio Take over Podcasting?

DO you think that traditional broadcasters are going to take over the world of podcasting? Should we be worried that more and more radio guys are coming over?

Not really. It puts us more on an equal footing with what the radio does.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Interesting question. So far, it has been difficult for terrestrial radio people to transition to Internet broadcasting and podcasting. For starters, it takes a long time to make any money with either one. Few people actually do. (There are a lot of "consultants" who claim they make money in podcasting, but they really make money by providing related services. There's nothing wrong with that approach, but very few people make money podcasting.)

The real concern is that if experienced and talented radio people successfully make the transition, the competition gets tougher. People will listen to a professional presentation quicker than they will listen to an amateur one with the same content. There are a lot of amateurish shows and podcasts.

At one level, I totally agree with Linuxcooldude that the Internet levels the playing field, but when the major league players hit the field, the Little League players are going to have a hard time getting noticed.

The moral of the story for new Internet broadcasters and podcasters is to become as polished and professional as you can as soon as you can. The pros were amateurs when they started, too.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

At one level, I totally agree with Linuxcooldude that the Internet levels the playing field, but when the major league players hit the field, the Little League players are going to have a hard time getting noticed.
    Yeah, I realize that the more famous ones will get noticed as they are well known and some of their fan base will follow them too.

But the small type broadcaster does have some advantages over a well known radio DJ. That is the viewer will get more interaction with the host you will probably not get with the latter.

I do know one local radio station that also streams their broadcast through the internet. Don't know if that makes a big difference or not. I know reception is spotty for arial reception so the podcast is a good alternative.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

I think the question is will podcasting take over radio? With more and mor cars coming with an auxilary jack, and with Stitcher coming standard in cars in the future, I would listen to "Keith and the Girl" over "Bob and Tom (and a mountain of commercials)" any day. The top Cleveland Drive time radio show is 38&#37; commericals (article).Who wants to listen to that? Beating top networks is possible Kid Friday beats large network shows on a regular basis (article).
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

It will really come down to quality. Quality of both the content and Audio/Video. If you are creating good content the viewers will come over.