International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best Mixer for Podcasting

Yea that's true. It does seem though, that we are rapidly reaching the precipice where digital will start to overtake analog and of course then there's IP on the horizon. Perhaps that will become more affordable for the home studio market one day. Its just, who wants the big bulky devices anymore? Thanks for your sage input Andrew!
    Last edited by docizzen; 10-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.

I agree that relying on a 3rd party device to control your sound is dangerous. I have always had good luck with Mackie Gear though. It would appear that the iPad is just the control and communicates wirelessly so even if a device changes in the future I am sure they will have something. But what happens when the iPad suddenly drops wireless (mine does this all the time).

One other note, the Behringer has an iphone / ipad app that allows control of just a specific mix (subgroup). It takes longer to teach the person how to use and then they keep playing with it and complaining. If you don't give them access to control it they just deal with it and never complain.

Nothing changes, the iPad is just the controller. The DSP is in the mixer doing the work. You use your own wireless router along with the mixer, so losing signal really shouldn't happen unless you get too far away. I'll be within 20 feet of the mixer so odds are pretty low that this will happen. But, here's a live band setup:

Thank you too Mike and everyone else!
    Last edited by docizzen; 10-18-2013 at 04:57 PM.

So I have a small mixer but I want to get something a little bit better. I was wondering if there is a way to not use a mixer and just use something via software?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSaunders View Post
    So I have a small mixer but I want to get something a little bit better. I was wondering if there is a way to not use a mixer and just use something via software?
    Great question. I want portable gear.

That's coming, but your budget will dictate. Thunderbolt devices will allow you to do this with ultra-low latency in your DAW, but that tech is not going to be widely available until 2014. Trust me, all of the major mfg companies will offer this tech soon, so be patient. What's cool about Thunderbolt buses and peripherals is that you can daisy chain up to six devices for one port. You can use a MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt and use 6 daisy chained 8 channel, or smaller audio interfaces if needed, or a smaller audio interface and go portable. Again, all of this at Ultra-low latency.

Here's Chief Hardware Engineer Bob Bauman with Lynx Studio Technology talking at length about the benefits of Thunderbolt buses for use with audio peripherals.

Or this:

Here's another preview from ResidentAudio.com about their upcoming interfaces:

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    Or this:

Here's another preview from ResidentAudio.com about their upcoming interfaces:

Great video! What are the advantages of this aside from daisy chaining? Theoretically, is it digital audio that can then be processed on a computer instead of rack devices?

Ultra-low latency for a ton of channels (Daisy Chaining). Portability for a mobile or remote podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    Ultra-low latency for a ton of channels (Daisy Chaining). Portability for a mobile or remote podcast.
    Forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast