International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best Mixer for Podcasting

You're not ignorant. I follow a lot of your sage advice and value you very much my friend. I have been researching the... dare I say it, "Digital Option," for some time now and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Thunderbolt devices, but I do fear their premium costs.

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    You're not ignorant. I follow a lot of your sage advice and value you very much my friend. I have been researching the... dare I say it, "Digital Option," for some time now and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Thunderbolt devices, but I do fear their premium costs.
    Thank you my friend, and thanks for sharing.

Need auggestions for equipment for internet radio show

Dear Mr. Mike Phillips or Anyone who has a thought on the below as this is being posted:

I need to start a Internet radio talk show. Although content is king and a proper presentation is mandatory, underlying it all (as you know) is choosing and using the right equipment, properly. To that end, I’ve taken the liberty to contact you.

Internet info is often dated and at instant, led to irreconcilable recommendations. Research led me to understand that your opinion is highly (and rightly) regarded. I not only respect your time and thank you in advance for it but in that vein, also narrow my question(s) primarily to that of the mixer and its defining connectivity.

Some of my choices are dictated by the dual use the equipment will have as I also write and will produce commercials, which may entail many things a radio talk show does not require.
    Non-screened Landline, Cell, Skype, VOIP etc. and text caller comments are taken via TalkShoe and landline via hybrid. Cannot all callers be routed to Skype as a universal portal? I am unsure as to how many aux sends are needed and how they are used as to each task. A preliminary equipment list follows:
    MIC: RE-320: Found it new for $214 It gives two variables of its sound rather than one with RE-20. I’m sure it is one of many Mic’s I will buy as need warrants. V.O. for commercials may need a condenser.

MIC SHOCK MOUNT: Electro-Voice 309A
    MIC STAND: Heil PL2T
    WALL MOUNT: Heil WM1 To keep the Mic from being mounted on a surface that I would also be touching.

TELEPHONIC: JK Audio: Digital Hybrid Broadcast Host, OR InnkeeperPBX, OR Handy Phone Hybrid?

COMPRESSOR/ LIMITER/GATE: DBX 286S May be needed to level out raw telephonic caller, also for V.O.

MEDIA PLAYBACK: Computer/Explorer MP3, MP4 Files OR Tascam CDRW901SL OR Tascam CD-200SB I just do not understand why I cannot just play a MP3, MP4 file from Explorer. I could easily have all that is needed for that show in one file and then have other support files or more regularly used files in another folder ready.

RECORDER: ZOOM H6 (use with XLR and/or shotgun mic to record effects, record show externally of computer
    recording, interviews, OR Tascam DR-100MKII (same purpose), OR Roland R-05, OR Sony PCMM10B .

HEADPHONE: Sony MDR 7506 … undecided?

(Vendors: Amazon, Stillwater, eBay, BSW

Behringer UFX1604: It begs the question: If it sounds too good to be true… 4 Aux Sends per track, all switchable pre or post (UFX1204 only 2) 4 Stereo Aux Returns, separate CD/Tape input; inserts for each track as each also has record to USB stick capabilities. 1394, USB, twin effects I can use. I just wonder if the preamps are good (but I would also be buying a separate compressor) but as to some opinions, is build quality deserving of the negative opinions? If this is used, show could be recorded per track making editing more versatile but also via external recorder and/or via 1394 or USB.

Allen & Heath XB14-2: It seems to be the mixer purpose-built for the task. However, it (as you have commented on IAIB) has only 2 Aux Sends. (As I am trying to learn these things, I am still dim about why I need 4?) It looks like one can control CUE and START remote playback and auto mute where needed. That’s great, but I am a one-man-show and don’t see why a MP3 or MP4 file cannot be played via Explorer? I also looked into DJ Denon decks but it seems to be overkill just to have a straight playback of a sound bite, although they do give one ideas. Perhaps with the built in compressor and limiter, (no gate) a separate one may not be needed. To be able to off-air speak to a telephonic guest is great, but can’t that be done via Aux Send PLF? I want a separate channel for caller and one for me to facilitate editing, primarily to edit for content (obscenities) not PC policing and/or for length. This will be a recorded live show that will be rerun as well as website and YouTube downloadable.

Of interest:
    Helix Phonic:
    Soundcraft:
    Presonus 16.4.2: Aux Send on each channel either pre or post.
    Presonus 16.0.2: Aux Send more complicated to set-up.
    Mackie 1640i:
    Mackie 1402VLZ4:
    Behringer X2442USB:

Again, I thank you in advance for any input. Of particularly, I need to know how to handle phone calls and which mixer best facilitates same.

Rick
    hugebrain@ymail.com

:

--
    Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Rick, have you and I spoken before? Please complete some of the profile information including your location. That helps to know what your equipment purchase options are.

You're asking a lot of questions. Please narrow them down somewhat, and I'll try to help.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Behringer X18 Mixer

Mr. Phillips, thanks for your reply!
    No, we have never spoken. As my NET connection is really bad (takes forever to load) I'll delay filling in my profile for now. As to where I am, Cincinnati. I don't see the tie-in between location and buying opportunities as all shall be bought via the mails. (Perhaps I am missing something in what you meant?) Yes, my query was rather dense in questions but I wanted, in one shot, to be conclusive of all I needed to address. I had hoped I focused it predominately on the mixer and telephonic connectivity. As you are an expert, I'm sure you get a daily peppering of questions. Usually, I never, never, EVER ask for advice but rather fend for myself as it's the best way to learn, but given how much I tried to get answers and did not find any that were definitive, I thought I would break down and finally illicit some help but that is okay. As said, I understand you as to be quit busy. I will continue and try to work it out best I can to get this project going. (BTW, the "hugebrain" name is not descriptively me, but rather the name of my concern.) Again, thanks anyway Mr. Phillips.

IAIB Broadcaster
    @MovieBuff - the X18 looks like it could work very well in a podcast/webcast studio. I use an X-32 at my church and it is amazing, but out of reach pricewise. Perhaps the X-18 is a bit closer to my price point.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSinclair View Post
    @MovieBuff - the X18 looks like it could work very well in a podcast/webcast studio. I use an X-32 at my church and it is amazing, but out of reach pricewise. Perhaps the X-18 is a bit closer to my price point.
    Thank you Mr. Sinclair, I will take a look at the video you posted.

IAIB Broadcaster
    I just saw that suggested retail is $799. A bit pricey for now. But prices may fall as other manufacturers come out with similar products.

Another video from NAMM. Points out the Aux send capability. http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/...-driven-mixer/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast