International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Question on Mic's for

Question on Mic's for

Howdy, I'm setting up a home based studio at the moment, I have most of the stuff in need, apart from mic's.

I'm not too struck on the idea of having a dynamic mic in front of my face or in frame and I don't want to use a lavaliere due to sound quality, Is there any reason I should not be looking into getting a RODE NTG-2 so I can use it on a boom just out of frame in the studio and out in the field?...

Cheers.

*Sits and waits for Mike*

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    The Rode NTG-2 is a great mic. It may work well for you depending on your room acoustics. Ray Ortega (@podcasthelper) just posted a video on YouTube where he demonstrates the NTG-1, which is the same mic without an internal battery. Check that out.

I'm partial to having a mic stuck in my face because the sound can never be better, but eating the mic can give sound worse than a boom mic out of the shot.

Lots of people are using headset mics because they are not obtrusive, but the good ones (like DPA) are very expensive.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Cheers Mike, will got take a look at that video, I may just get one for now and have a play to see if I can get along with it.

Washy.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    That's the best approach. There are too many variables (particularly with room acoustics) to know whether the NTG-2 will give you the results you want.

If you decide to go with dynamic mics, consider the ATR2100-USB or the AT2005USB. I haven't posted this anywhere yet, but here is the AT2005 for $49US plus shipping.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.