International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Encoding methods for your video podcast

Thanks for the video. It helps clear up a few things for MeGUI. It can be quite a complicated program to get started using. Though I'm still finding my file sizes to be larger than I'd ideally like, but I'm being very critical.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Thanks for the video. It helps clear up a few things for MeGUI. It can be quite a complicated program to get started using. Though I'm still finding my file sizes to be larger than I'd ideally like, but I'm being very critical.
    When I first starting trying to figure out what file size I should try to hit, I took a look at some of the TWiT shows, specifically TNT. For a 45 minute show, on average, the file size was around 220 to 250MB for the same resolution that I was using. Considering my show of 1 hour 18 mins was around 270MB, I thought that was pretty good.
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

tested

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    When I first starting trying to figure out what file size I should try to hit, I took a look at some of the TWiT shows, specifically TNT. For a 45 minute show, on average, the file size was around 220 to 250MB for the same resolution that I was using. Considering my show of 1 hour 18 mins was around 270MB, I thought that was pretty good.
    Ok, i have done some testing with DebugMode frame server, sending a 1.2gb 1280x720 file out of Sony Vegas, but the time was so long, i had to stop it, as i see it was not a feasible time frame for putting the show live (correction, i tested on an i5, still need to test on the i7 cpu)

I finally try another way using Avid LE, and Handbrakes, running Rendering in Sony vegas on the i5 with the avid LE codec took around 9hours....with the ending result a 39gb file.
    I ran this file in Handbrakes, and the transcoding took under and hour, with a file size of 384mb (PERFECT), the show is about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and i ended up with a 720p file..(just what i wanted)

Problem now can i compensate time versus quality, i will try it on the i7, and see what the results are

Quote Originally Posted by sidimustafa View Post
    Ok, i have done some testing with DebugMode frame server, sending a 1.2gb 1280x720 file out of Sony Vegas, but the time was so long, i had to stop it, as i see it was not a feasible time frame for putting the show live (correction, i tested on an i5, still need to test on the i7 cpu)

I finally try another way using Avid LE, and Handbrakes, running Rendering in Sony vegas on the i5 with the avid LE codec took around 9hours....with the ending result a 39gb file.
    I ran this file in Handbrakes, and the transcoding took under and hour, with a file size of 384mb (PERFECT), the show is about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and i ended up with a 720p file..(just what i wanted)

Problem now can i compensate time versus quality, i will try it on the i7, and see what the results are
    That's odd that you had that happen. I routinely import 8gb WMV files into Vegas, make my edits, then use the frame server to render out to StaxRip. It never takes longer than the show itself. What speed setting are you using? There's like slow, medium, fast, etc. I normally use medium or fast.

Also out of curiosity why are you using the Avid LE codec rather than HuffYUV or Lagarith?

Rendering

That's odd that you had that happen. I routinely import 8gb WMV files into Vegas, make my edits, then use the frame server to render out to StaxRip. It never takes longer than the show itself. What speed setting are you using? There's like slow, medium, fast, etc. I normally use medium or fast.

Also out of curiosity why are you using the Avid LE codec rather than HuffYUV or Lagarith?
    I'm a newbie to video, and any instructions i find around the net to better improve the quality and rendering time, i try to experiment, i'm still looking for the best time resource manner..(not found as yet)

My original video is taking from a WireCast recorded session, it's not the best to edit directly in Vegas, so therefor if editing is needed, i first needs to render it to an output file, then take the file and edit from thereforward.

I used AVID LE, cause i was testing a new workflow i just found on the net, however, it also took 10hrs on the Intel i7.
    so i need to find a better solution...

Can you explain to me, where i can find that SLOW, MEDIUM and fast option in VEGAS? never seen it nor heard of it...

Is the UffYuv and Lagarith coded intergrated in SonyVegas, or do i have to download them else where, would surely like to give them a try..

My original video is taking from a WireCast recorded session, it's not the best to edit directly in Vegas, so therefor if editing is needed, i first needs to render it to an output file, then take the file and edit from thereforward.
    What do you use to edit with?

Can you explain to me, where i can find that SLOW, MEDIUM and fast option in VEGAS? never seen it nor heard of it...
    That's a setting with the x264 encoder that's used with StaxRip/MeGUI, not Vegas. When you configure the encoder settings you can choose what speed preset to use.

Is the UffYuv and Lagarith coded intergrated in SonyVegas, or do i have to download them else where, would surely like to give them a try..
    You have to download and install them. Both are free.

You can download both codecs from free-codecs.com here and here.

If you are running Windows 64 bit, HuffYUV is a little tricky to install. You'll have to use command prompt and run some commands to get it to install. There are step by step instructions on how to do this at the bottom of this wiki article.
    Last edited by sunkast; 07-31-2012 at 02:02 PM.

[QUOTE=sunkast;2070]What do you use to edit with?

That's a setting with the x264 encoder that's used with StaxRip/MeGUI, not Vegas. When you configure the encoder settings you can choose what speed preset to use.

Ok, it's vegas i use to run the first Render, due to the fact that when i take it from WireCast, it's near to imposible to edit, so i have to render it first..

i think i'll do i the opposite way around, i did see that Handbrakes takes 45 minutes to transcode from .mov to .mp4....

I will try taking the original recording put it in Handbrake, and see how that goes..and then see if Vegas can edit it..

What version of Vegas are you using? Versions 10 and newer shouldn't have any issue loading Quicktime videos from Wirecast. Older versions of Vegas do have issues with Quicktime.

What version of Vegas are you using? Versions 10 and newer shouldn't have any issue loading Quicktime videos from Wirecast. Older versions of Vegas do have issues with Quicktime.
    i'm using 11, use to use 10...
    I have the problem with .mp4 and also .wmv, on the wirecast forum, many other folks had the same problem, while some didn't.
    but the problem also has been reported in Adobe Premier....i read somewhere that it had to do with the way NLE editors reads the video, and that Wirecast saves videos in a Constant Rate...etc..not sure..

I don't know if this will help, but I mentioned in my workflow video how I had to use MP4Box to correct an issue with the MP4 file that XSplit produces. If anyone is interested in using this, then feel free. Basically all you have to do is unzip the 3 files into a folder and then drag and drop your MP4 file onto the fixme.bat file. It will demux and remux the video and audio into a "fixed" file.

http://shows.anairo.com/convert.zip

I cannot offer any support on the workings of MP4Box.
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast