International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which is the Skype frame rate limitation?

Question which is the Skype frame rate limitation?

hi, im researching about webcams to buy and use it among wire cast 4 to do some drum lessons via Skype.
    Can anyone tell me which is the Skype frame rate limitation?
    Im asking this because I'm looking for a good hd webcam to do my lessons...but it will have no sense to buy a 30fps webcam, if then Skype breaks that into something else...
    any advice?
    really thanks!
    juan

IAIB Broadcaster
    Juan,

Great question. My experience has been that Skype is limited by your internet connection speed among other factors. If you look at the weekly show StudioTechLive, you'll see them doing one or more Skype connections at a very good frame rate and HD quality. So, get the best you can afford! -Tom

Most HD Webcams out there will do 30fps 720p. the Logitech c910/920 and the Microsoft Lifecam Cinema are two of the best out there. Skype will always limit your HD video to 22fps regardless of what camera you are using. The other issue you might face is that Neither the Logitech c910/920 and Lifecam Cinema have driver control on OSX.

with that said Software like Vidblaster can force skype to run at 30fps. If you are using just a webcam with skype you will be limited to 22fps MAX

IAIB Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Software like Vidblaster can force skype to run at 30fps.
    Really? I was not aware of that. How did you figure that out?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Most HD Webcams out there will do 30fps 720p. the Logitech c910/920 and the Microsoft Lifecam Cinema are two of the best out there. Skype will always limit your HD video to 22fps regardless of what camera you are using. The other issue you might face is that Neither the Logitech c910/920 and Lifecam Cinema have driver control on OSX.
    thanks! yeah, I'm still looking the pros and cons of these logitech cams running on mac os lion...maybe I will go for the c910 (maybe a couple of them)... would you recommend it? I'm planning to use wire cast 4 to switch between them and add some tittles and so. Eventually, I will record a Skype lesson I will do with them, but Im planning to use wire cast to record... do you think have not a driver control will be a pain, or is just for fun?
    thanks!

ps. I didn't know that soft that allows 30fps too.... did you tested it?
    Last edited by drumstudio2000; 06-19-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Wirecast itself can see Logitech C910 at full 1080p30.
    There's a third party driver some are using with the C910 on Mac.
    Driver
    http://www.dm9.se/
    Video Demo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfMDcVe4VEg

Quote Originally Posted by TomSinclair View Post
    Juan,

Great question. My experience has been that Skype is limited by your internet connection speed among other factors. If you look at the weekly show StudioTechLive, you'll see them doing one or more Skype connections at a very good frame rate and HD quality. So, get the best you can afford! -Tom
    thanks! I have another question. Do you know if using 2 of these c920 will compromise things like transmission quality, lags, or cpu usage?

thanks!
    juan

IAIB Broadcaster
    Juan, I have no experience with two 920s, but I would guess it would not affect transmission but may impact CPU usage.

Well if you plan on using two c910s or two c920's you may have an issue. The drivers do not allow you to control the settings for both cameras. What you can do is get one 910 and one 920.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast