Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Podcasting tips from the IAIB

Podcasting tips from the IAIB

Here are the rules :

We each add a tip we have found useful when it comes to podcasting

Tip # 1

Be prepared for each show.

Stick to a format and follow it. I have created a template for each show and make sure to do an hour or two of prep on the topic we will be discussing. The last thing you want is to not have anything to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Reboot your computers 30 minutes or so before the show.
    Gremlins can hide and show themselves when least expected. Rebooting gives you a clean start.

(as far as tip #1. Over the years I have found out that the direction of our type of show cannot be set by the host. When it is a call in show with the desire to help users, preparing a show to discuss "memory" will quickly change directions when a user calls with a question about video cards, and other callers chime in.
    Again, this is what I found about our show, your mileage may vary :-)

I think preparation is important. I don't mean a strict structure that can't be deviated from - that's no fun and basically turns your show into nothing more than a scripted show you'd watch/hear on TV. But I do post topics for discussion starting the day after my last show and have my co-hosts vote on them. Unless there is something special that happened that week that I want to highlight, I typically take the top 3 topics and create talking points for them. Then we just free flow over the points, letting each co-host weigh in with their own opinions. That way the personalities of each co-host comes out and you can hear the dynamic differences between us.
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

Roll with the unexpected.

As Andrew and Donovan pointed out.. make sure you are prepared as being prepared will help when things start to become unhinged. Amnon is correct in making sure that you minimize those things that could come back to bite you during a show.

No matter how prepared you are and how well your system seems to be running, sometimes things just take the unexpected turn. Being prepared will help you deal with that, but don't always stick directly to the script. Sometimes the best shows come from that unexpected left turn (be it hardware or show topic issues).

The key is, knowing when it is a good unexpected turn and when you need to right the ship by getting back on point or fixing the hardware glitch (and that's where being prepared comes into play).

Keep it interesting. Buy doing this you can build a loyal audience.
    Richard Cleveland
    Producer/Host
    Naked Ape Productions
    http://nakedapeprod.com

Add a bit of yourself into the product. Anyone can read the news but not everyone can connect with their audience on a personal level. Share your experiences, your stories good and bad. People like to feel close to their hosts. The feedback I saw for Southgeek in a previous post is proof of that. Remember you aren't just selling your shows but you're also selling yourselves.
    Last edited by MyTakeRadio; 10-07-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Always prepare more interview questions than you think you need. You may run out of stuff to talk about and dead air is boring lol.

Podcasting Tip # 8

Monitor your audio while doing a show. You will be shocked to know that many Podcasters do not listen to their audio while doing a show This is a huge mistake. The only way you will learn how to adjust your audio and learn good microphone etiquette is by properly monitoring your audio. PLUG INTO A MIXER AND MONITOR YOUR AUDIO!

IAIB Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Here are the rules :

We each add a tip we have found useful when it comes to podcasting

Tip # 1

Stick to a format and follow it. I have created a template for each show and make sure to do an hour or two of prep on the topic we will be discussing. The last thing you want is to not have anything to say.
    Also Make sure if you are going live one a week at a set time and day make a effect not to miss weeks out it could lose listeners

Consistency... if you stream live then do the live show at the same time every week and upload it to your site in a timely manner.

I would also like to stress that your audience is your bread and butter so engage them and make them feel special through the use of a chat room or twitter and facebook.
    Richard Cleveland
    Producer/Host
    Naked Ape Productions
    http://nakedapeprod.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast