International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Mistakes Podcasters make ?

Top Mistakes Podcasters make ?

what are some mistakes that Podcasters/Internet Broadcasters make?

the two mistakes I have noticed are lack of proper branding/artwork and low audio quality. What about you guys?

Web / Roku Developer RadarGaming's Avatar
    I think that a lack of a paid website is something people do. They try to use .webs or .tk and it doesnt look good.
    For Web Design And More Check Out Craig Digital Designs!

Not actively promoting their brands and wondering why their numbers are low. Not investing in equipment to improve their product.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

I would say not being themselves. I listen to so many podcasters who are trying to be the radio DJ stereotype. I use my real voice no matter how manly it may sound as a lady lol. It is good for people to know who you are.

I definitely think Audio is the biggest factor. It's also one that is easy to fix, yet harder to master. I know my own broadcasts are only above average and I have more updates coming trying to lift the quality.

I, personally, look at design as a major thing; however, unlike audio, depending on your topic it isn't necessarily a big hindrance. Amazon, Craigslist, etc are examples of so-so design, or no design at all, yet they serve their market well. If you are a design podcast (boagworld, for instance) then you should have excellent design.

Bottom line, no matter what the external package, if you don't have listenable audio and good content, then that becomes the mistake that will haunt you in the long run.

I agree with that. I am always working on improving my audio.

I agree that audio and branding are 1000% a major key. I also think a good website and design to go along with artwork completes the package as a whole look.

Having good audio is a must because nobody wants to listen to crappy audio and yes it is also the hardest and the biggest thing you will fight with and it will drive you crazy, but that is the fun of broadcasting!

I also think being a dick to other broadcasters is a major bad move. I know some people want to be the biggest and baddest but crapping on other broadcasters to get there is a bad move. That is why the IAIB is awesome because it's a community of broadcasters that want to help make online broadcasting bigger and better and help each other be better broadcasters as well.

So for me I give you this little piece of advice that Wil Wheaton said.

DON'T BE A DICK!

Thank you and goodnight!

Jase
    Jase Rossi | Founder, Lead Reviewer and Host of ReBoot! The Anything and Everything Gaming Podcast at www.Nerdmunky.com

Follow me on Twitter :@jaserossi

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Audio is #1 in my book, and in my case I think the look and feel of my studio helps my audience feel more connected to the program.

Being a Dick is ALWAYS a mistake in any business! I’ve known a lot of “big shots” in my time who fell flat on their asses only to find that they were shit out of luck when they needed a helping hand.

The IAIB is all about evolving this field, and as Jase pointed out, making each other better at what we do. Those who choose not be a part this great community are only missing out. There are no true “trade secrets” in internet broadcasting, eventually all cards are on the table and it comes down to content, drive and talent.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Spencer is 100% correct. I am all for helping my internet broadcasting peers but I am also a believer that if you build your brand you need to seek out knowledge and not rely on everyone else for answers. Content, Drive and Talent are not things that someone gives you but opportunities you make for yourself. I spend hours reading, listening and learning to make my product better and anyone that wants to succeed needs to "bleed" for their brand. Guys like Spencer, Andrew bleed for their brand and if you can't invest that drive into your brand then you are destined to swim in an ocean of mediocrity. If you don't upgrade your gear, improve your audio, work on your delivery or study your content then don't be shocked if you product sucks. If it seems blunt I apologize but people need to work hard to be successful.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Rich brought up an interesting point about under promotion. Some people also make the mistake of over promoting their shows, blog etc... I have seen many "Podcasters" spam twitter and facebook over and over again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast