International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: suggestions for headset

Question suggestions for headset

I have gone through several headsets during the past couple years

Thought I would jsut ask for suggestions from some of the pros here.

I need over the ear "earphone" headset, with 1/4" to 3.5mm jack. Currently one of my headsets has a 3.5 that screws into the 1/4 connector. This is good feature. However, I think a 3.5 mm jack should do fine.
    Over the ear is important. When I am working audio...it is often for days at a time. In the ear, and on the ear headsets become very uncomfortable pressing in and on my ears.

Monitors are great, but I rarely use them. They are too loud for my work. Yes, I think monitors are the best go, but the headsets don't create complaints and limiit when or where I can work. I do have a tendency to work very late and very early.

Yes, I do need a good quality set...but I am on budget as well. The internet reviews all seem to be affiliate sites that say what the mfgr tells them to say...and link to them.

I'd appreciate suggestions from real people doing real audio production... thanks
    Last edited by domineaux; 01-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.

I spent a few hours this morning on this.

The following look pretty good to me.
    KRK KNS 8400 $149.00
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK/KNS-...84160378665.gc

ATH MD50X $169.00
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-Te...-Headphones.gc

Replaceable cables and ear pieces is available for each. Cables and ear pieces do take a beating, which makes replacement necessary from my experience.

I would appreciate any feedback on these headsets or other options. I read some reviews, mostly golden words to sell the items. Also, if you know a place to get a better price I would appreciate as well.

Anyway, both of these look good to ME. I have had excellent service from my Audio-Technica ATR2100 mics. So I am leaning towards the ATH M50x headset.
    Last edited by domineaux; 01-26-2016 at 02:49 PM.

I bought the ATH MD50X headset. They should work well as monitor headset.

Got a super deal on them. Supplier on Craigslist local enough for me to drive there.

No way to deal with retailers... prices with them set in concrete. LOL

I got the model number wrong. It is ATH M50X.

A thing you should be aware. These are professional type headset monitor. They are true to sound, and do not embellish bass or other levels. You must use other software or hardware to produce such embellishments.

Gamers and music buffs that want to listen to souped up audio will do better with other headsets.

I cannot use speaker monitors, because I do so much of my audio work in the wee hours of the morning in my home studio. I must respect those in the house who are sleeping.
    Last edited by domineaux; 02-20-2016 at 11:11 AM.