International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Hangouts gets Higher Video Quality

Google Hangouts gets Higher Video Quality

Great news for everyone using Hangouts to produce their Podcast.

I have yet to get the update but im really interested in seeing how much better the video quality is. Skype still stands as the best overall package when it comes to audio and video over a free solution.

If Google has drastically improved its video quality this might be a game changer for many who are sitll using Skype.

this specifically mentions Hangout calling via web, not Hangouts On Air. Do you think it'll be for both? Right now we switch from Skype to Hangouts for a video portion of our show then back to Skype because the lag is less on Skype. If Hangouts improves on video quality and lag, we might have an easier workflow going forward.
    TransMissions - Everything Transformers! (NSFW for language) | iTunes
    TransMissions is a podcast where we discuss everything related to the Transformers franchise!

Yakko Yaks! (clean) | iTunes
    Yakko Yaks! is a podcast where I’ll talk about TV shows and movies, tech, and comics. This is a basic podcast that I'm using to improve my speaking skills, experiment with various things, and to try to do a show that’s as close as live to disk as possible.

I believe the overall interface will be adopted in both Hangouts on air and hangout calling via web. The overall reaction has been negative to the interface. It removes a lot of the features that people like for on air hangouts ( Ex. Lower thirds)

It is still a beta and they are slowly rolling it out. I would assume some of these features will be added back later on.

it looks to me like most of the complaints were due to what was seen in the screenshot. Has anyone actually been given access to this new interface yet? It might be a lot of noise over nothing.
    TransMissions - Everything Transformers! (NSFW for language) | iTunes
    TransMissions is a podcast where we discuss everything related to the Transformers franchise!

Yakko Yaks! (clean) | iTunes
    Yakko Yaks! is a podcast where I’ll talk about TV shows and movies, tech, and comics. This is a basic podcast that I'm using to improve my speaking skills, experiment with various things, and to try to do a show that’s as close as live to disk as possible.

Thats a great point. I dont see it yet nor do I know anyone that has it yet.

I consider myself a Googler. I use their webmaster tools as well as a lot of their apps.
    Last edited by Dana; 11-15-2015 at 04:13 AM.

I just saw the new hangouts yesterday. Man it sucks. No more control over video quality. its very standard and a step backwards

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I just saw the new hangouts yesterday. Man it sucks. No more control over video quality. its very standard and a step backwards
    Agreed. I find everything they announced to be completely false. The video quality is not better and the interface is actually worse.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

Can I say WOW. This is a totally disaster. It looks like crap. You have no control over the quality. I can not beleive this is the "new" hangouts
    you best get steppin

Never bothered with Google Hangouts, quality & watchability was never quite up to par for a broadcast, IMO.

I've actually moved to ipDTL's video solution recently and I'm very impressed so far. You can select both your audio & video bitrates, I've found the quality to be vastly superior to Skype so far and it runs in browser.

I have no affiliation to ipDTL, been broadcasting daily, mostly with Skype, for a few years now and it's been a game changer for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast