International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all the talk About Money and not building an Audience

Why all the talk About Money and not building an Audience

Im still pretty new to podcasting. I have only been around for about a year or so but I have noticed a strange trend recently. Its all about the money. Almost every question I see on Facebook and other sites is " How can I make money with my podcast". Shouldn't we be talking about methods of growing our audience rather then talking about money.

I listened to a Blab that Mike Phillips hosted over the weekend and it was interesting to see how many people were considering making money with their podcaster instead of growing the audience. Andrew Zarian was also in the blab and pretty much said that if you have an audience advertisers will come to you.

Anyone have a link to that video

Hey Brother. We must have went to the same sites this weekend. I also just put up a post about making money through Podcasting, this morning. I also watched a video with Mike Phillips in it, yesterday. As far as I know, I have read just about every article Mike has written, concerning audio, or at least everyone I could find through Google. I just found this other show he was on @ http://www.nissancommunications.com/...id=xiBdU4TOdXc.

In my article I wrote this morning, I mentioned nothing about growing your audience. Not only is it a very good point that you bring up, it will and does, have an impact on the amount of money, you can make. My post deals more with the different ways you can, as a Podcaster, try and bring in some income. Thanks for the post and if you do find the link to the video, please post it. I enjoy listening to people from this forum in the middle of the night, as I am working.

Very seldom do I watch the video, I just listen. When something catches my ear, I stop what I am doing, go to the video, rewind it for a few seconds then watch it, till they move on to another subject. Then it's back to work. Anyway, it works for me.

I have also wondered the same thing many times. I have never considered making any sort of money with Podcasting. I have a day job and do this for fun.

Is there a set number of listeners you need to have before you can make a living doing this? Like is it 100,000 downloads? 20,000 downloads?

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    Is there a set number of listeners you need to have before you can make a living doing this? Like is it 100,000 downloads? 20,000 downloads?
    If you want, you can view the post I made yesterday, concerning this very issue. It is what I have found, through my own experience, as well as viewing other Top Players, in the Podcasting Field. I simply go to their Patreon Page and see how many people are supporting them.

It is similar to a "Go Fund Me" site. Some of these Podcasters, have tens of thousands of followers as well as the highest rankings for Podcasting, yet, the highest amount that I have found so far, makes about $100.00 a month from contributions. 90% of them, are doing nothing more then supporting each other, like a network. You send me money and I will send you money, type of deal. It's like a bar tender, putting their own money into their own tip jar, to get people to tip. Just my opinion.

To answer your question, yes. It will take a certain amount of consistent downloads before an advertiser is willing to work with you. Each have their own requirements. You can view my post here, it goes into a little more detail on this subject. http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/showthread.php/2726-Can-I-make-Money-Podcasting

Quote Originally Posted by Richardpell View Post
    I listened to a Blab that Mike Phillips hosted over the weekend and it was interesting to see how many people were considering making money with their podcaster instead of growing the audience. Andrew Zarian was also in the blab and pretty much said that if you have an audience advertisers will come to you. Anyone have a link to that video
    I am not sure if this is the link you are looking for, but it what I found, according to your description. I listened to about 20 min of it, then clicked it off. My opinion, nothing but a boat load of Bull Sh*t and hypocrites!

noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Here is your link. https://blab.im/41dcc80b240d4efaa0dc09029a0f9e4d

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I am not sure if this is the link you are looking for, but it what I found, according to your description. I listened to about 20 min of it, then clicked it off. My opinion, nothing but a boat load of Bull Sh*t and hypocrites!

noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Here is your link. https://blab.im/41dcc80b240d4efaa0dc09029a0f9e4d
    Dana Who are you talking about?

First things first. Did you click on the link I provided? Second, be real careful, when you ask that question, as I have no desire to piss this forum off. If you ask me to explain, I will, but it will be backed by 100% fact, and it will not represent this forum, in a positive manner. I am always open to discussion, but I have no desire to participate with anyone, that has a destructive personality. So, your call Andrew, you want to hear it or not?

I really would like to know who you think is a hypocrite and full of it...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I really would like to know who you think is a hypocrite and full of it...
    No problem. I will start the write up. Give me 30 mins. You never did say if you clicked on the link!

I did click on it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast