International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small, Portable, Mix minus - a puzzle with missing pieces

Very informative and interesting discussion. I can only speak based on my own workflow and what I have seen from others. Dana, in regards to the comment that "99.9% of podcasters agreeing that recording on an external recorder is a better option than a computer, I have to respectfully disagree. I do not record on an external recorder and never even considered doing so. We do however have redundant recordings on two different computers. The majority of people who are recording a podcast can do so by using their laptop/computer and not have any issues.

If you are looking to use an external recorder for a backup solution the Tascam DR-40 is a good option.

Both options are fine it just depends on what you think its a easier workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nateol View Post
    I'm wondering if this means that it's no longer necessary to combine it with Soundflower, that it can do the job alone. What version of Audio Hijack are you using?

I've just been told my mic has arrived (yay!) so I'll pick it up tomorrow then start to play around with it, Skype and Audio Hijack. I guess I'll soon work out whether it needs Soundflower as well.

Assuming that all works as it should re the Skype calls, does this mean that I can now go ahead and order an audio recorder and then be set up? My intention, if I'm recording with access to my computer, is to record primarily into that with the audio recorder as backup in case things go wrong. Skype calls would always be done this way. When I'm out in the field I would use the audio recorder as the primary recording mechanism and load the resulting file into my computer for post processing. That's the theory, but I've no hands on experience at this stage, so if I'm missing something here I'd appreciate any input.

I'll probably order the audio recorder from the US, as the price is significantly less than buying it in Australia, even after shipping and exchange rates. The drawback is that it's much more difficult to return anything if you get it wrong. So I'm doing as much testing 'third hand' as possible before I commit. So please weigh in with opinions and experience.
    Elle
    I'm using the latest version of Audio Hijack. It is easier than older versions, but can also get complicated if you let it. I have to use Soundflower to get the audio into applications like Audacity. It makes it easy for me to route audio in Audio Hijack to a specific track in Audacity. It'll probably be easier to show you my workflow. This is the setup for my show audio:

Like I said earlier, Skype has the Soundflower (2ch) device set as it's input instead of my microphone. It does still have the AT2005 set as the output device. I have two Soundflower (64ch) output devices listed, and if I had the properties shown you would see that each is specifying a specific channel. In Audacity I have this device set as the input.

In Audio Hijack, I had to also have my AT2005 set as the output device in the middle of that window so I could also hear the sounds being routed through it.

I also have a second Audio Hijack session set up like this:

This is for a MP3 backup of everything. Myself and another host both do this so we have 2 backups of the whole Skype call in addition to everyone recording their own audio locally.

If you did want to use an external recorder as well, if the Mac can see it as an audio device, Audio Hijack can route audio to it as well.

There is a lot more to this discussion that is being said Andrew.
    Last edited by Dana; 11-15-2015 at 04:18 AM.

I agree Dana the people you have listed do provide very informative and positive information for the podcasting community but I wouldn't say its definitive way things need to be done. Like you said if we get 10 people in a room we will also get 10 different ways of doing the same thing.

Regarding making money when it comes to podcasting, my suggestion has always been to work on the content and build an audience before thinking about making money with it. Quality and content go a very long way when you are trying to build an audience. If no one is listening you will not be able to make money This is a great topic for another thread

@yakk0dotorg. Brother, I looked at your work flow for a solid 10 min and it looks impressive as well as, well pretty cool in the scheme of things.
    Last edited by Dana; 11-15-2015 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I agree Dana the people you have listed do provide very informative and positive information for the podcasting community but I wouldn't say its definitive way things need to be done. Like you said if we get 10 people in a room we will also get 10 different ways of doing the same thing.
    You are correct Sir.
    Last edited by Dana; 11-15-2015 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    @yakk0dotorg. Brother, I looked at your work flow for a solid 10 min and it looks impressive as well as, well pretty cool in the scheme of things. It also looks extremely complicated. I guess anything is till you learn how to use it. This is my work flow. Turn power switch on. Hit record. When I need to go remote, I just remove the Tascam from the tripod, the AKG from the boom arm, grab a 6 foot xlr to xlr and go. As far as Podcasting goes, that's all I need. The rest is nothing but pure fluff!
    I could simplify it a bit, as I don't use the browser audio and iTunes much in the shows. It started out simpler and built up as I needed to do things. I could probably get a small mixer and clean things up a lot, but I'm cheap.
    For some recent remote podcasts interviews we did I just took my Blue Yeti and didn't use Audio Hijack at all. It was straight microphone to audacity and the Yeti was in the mode to record the whole room. I didn't want to make it complicated for the interview subjects at all. I have also recently bought an iRig Pre that lets me plug my AT2005 into my phone. It's a nice little tool to have, but I haven't had a chance to use it all that much.

The takeaway for me here is to hasten slowly. You've all provided lots for me to work through - thankyou.

I picked up the new ATR 2100 mic this morning and hooked it up to my mac. I can report that I succeeded in recording myself using garageband - and that it sounded like the worst amateur attempt you can imagine. Lots of room for improvement.

So I'll quietly work my way through the issues, adding software as required while keeping it as simple as I can. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions ...

Elle

The takeaway for me here is to hasten slowly. You've all provided lots for me to work through - thankyou.

I picked up the new ATR 2100 mic this morning and hooked it up to my mac. I can report that I succeeded in recording myself using garageband - and that it sounded like the worst amateur attempt you can imagine. Lots of room for improvement.

So I'll quietly work my way through the issues, adding software as required while keeping it as simple as I can. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions ...

Elle
    Congrats!! Getting to actually record is the first step. It will get better every time you record a new show.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    I succeeded in recording myself using garageband
    That's all you need. Now practice, practice, practice.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast