International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Launching new Podcast- Should I wait to have a few before putting it on Itunes

Launching new Podcast- Should I wait to have a few before putting it on Itunes

I am considering launching a new podcasting and read that its a good idea to have a few podcasts already in the RSS before posting it on iTunes. Anyone here have any experience with this. Is it better to launch your podcast with just 1 episode or should you wait till you have a few in the can

Thank you

There was discussion about this on one of Dave Jackson's recent shows. He argues against it because when someone subscribes they'll only get the most recent show by default.

I'm in the same position of starting a new podcast. I've decided to complete a short series of about 5 or 6 before I publish any because:

1. I'm planning to publish on a schedule (weekly, bi-weekly - don't know yet) and this gives me a 'reserve' to slot in if I can't meet the deadline with a new podcast. It'll obviously work only for evergreen content, anything that dates would be useless for this.

2. I know, from having started websites, that there are endless post publication jobs to be done to get your audience to find you at the start. If I have a few back-up programs then after each release I can spend time promoting it properly so it gets found, rather than having to start work immediately on the content of the next one. This gets the ball rolling before there's any real audience to do the word of mouth promotion for you.

They would be my main reasons for getting a few episodes done before starting to release them. For me it's about easing the pressure on yourself rather than building an instant archive. I wouldn't be releasing them on my RSS feed though, I'd be keeping them in reserve on my computer.

Elle
    Last edited by Nateol; 11-04-2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I am considering launching a new podcasting and read that its a good idea to have a few podcasts already in the RSS before posting it on iTunes.
    The only requirement for iTunes is that you have at least 1 in your RSS feed as they will not approve an empty feed.
    Last edited by Dana; 11-15-2015 at 04:24 AM.

I dont know if there is a right or wrong to doing it either way. When we launch a podcast we generally have 2 shows in the feed. The first one being an intro to what the show will be about and the second show actually being the official show.

I like andrew generally have 2. The "pilot" which is generally pretty bad then episode 2 which is the "real" first show. I am not worried if they miss the first one. I generally do not post the pilot episode on social media either.