International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Setting up more than 1 computer to broadcast...

Question Setting up more than 1 computer to broadcast...

Okay so here is my problem. Currently I am am using one computer to do all my broadcasting work. The issue I have is CPU usage, now bare in mind I am using a i7 920 cpu and 12 Gbs of RAM. I currently stream to 3 CDN's and record all on the same computer and my cpu usage rides 95-100% and I start to lose frames. Secondly I tried to bring in a skype video caller on my last show and using DTP from a separate computer and the frame rate was unusable.

Will a BM intensity pro card help this issue and do I need a card in both machines to send return video to my callers?

Thanks
    Richard Cleveland
    Producer/Host
    Naked Ape Productions
    http://nakedapeprod.com

Few Questions for you.

1. What are you using to stream and switch cameras?

2. How many computers would you like in bring into the setup?

You would need a black magic card in both computers to make it work. Video out to Video IN. We currently have 3 machines that handle most of the work. Switching, Recording , Streaming.

Hey Andrew thanks for the reply.

Let me answer the first question. I am using Wirecast 4.1.3 to record 2 cams (1 Microsoft Life Cam Cinema and 2 Logitech C910s). I also use this machine to stream to the 3 usual suspects.

On to the second question. I attempted to bring in a Skype call from a separate computer using Desktop presenter and the frame rate was less than 1 frame per second. I would like to have a dedicated Skype machine, a main Switcher/recorder and finally a third for streaming to the internet.

Does the HDMI out on the Intensity Pro allow for sending program out to my caller? And do I need 1 in each machine?

Thanks again Andrew.
    Richard Cleveland
    Producer/Host
    Naked Ape Productions

What are the webcam frame sizes?
    Webcam frame size should match closely to the stream target (highest frame size in your case) otherwise the computer is going to be doing a lot of downscaling. Also check that your canvas size matches as well.

Also when setting your encoders, a common mistake is to use some standard size that may be larger than the service's player size. Doing larger encodes than necessary also uses CPU resources.

Also make sure you have GPU compression On in Wirecast preferences (although it can create problems with some GPUs).

What codec you're recording with can also impact CPU use. Recording H.264 may use more resources than a much higher data rate MJPEG (or AppleProResLT on Mac). Although one trick is using one of your streaming encoder settings as a recording encoder setting as that reduces CPU use as well.

Also don't record on the same drive that's running your OS (your system drive).

Desktop Presenter and low frame rates. I'll start with reporting one of my own tests. I ran DTP on a Windows XP Pentium D, nVidia 6800. I targeted it to a 1280x720 video on Hulu . . . and I got close to 30fps. If you're getting low frame rates there may be an issue with your setup.

DTP depends on the GPU. DTP also wants Gigabit wired LAN end to end (cards and router must be capable). Other traffic on the network can impact performance. Also target the Skype window rather than the desktop (although I suspect you do target Skype) as window (or region) targeting will decrease the use of resources. Also check how it performs with DTP 3D compatibility Off vs On.

Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    What are the webcam frame sizes?
    Webcam frame size should match closely to the stream target (highest frame size in your case) otherwise the computer is going to be doing a lot of downscaling. Also check that your canvas size matches as well.

Also when setting your encoders, a common mistake is to use some standard size that may be larger than the service's player size. Doing larger encodes than necessary also uses CPU resources.

Also make sure you have GPU compression On in Wirecast preferences (although it can create problems with some GPUs).

What codec you're recording with can also impact CPU use. Recording H.264 may use more resources than a much higher data rate MJPEG (or AppleProResLT on Mac). Although one trick is using one of your streaming encoder settings as a recording encoder setting as that reduces CPU use as well.

Also don't record on the same drive that's running your OS (your system drive).

Desktop Presenter and low frame rates. I'll start with reporting one of my own tests. I ran DTP on a Windows XP Pentium D, nVidia 6800. I targeted it to a 1280x720 video on Hulu . . . and I got close to 30fps. If you're getting low frame rates there may be an issue with your setup.

DTP depends on the GPU. DTP also wants Gigabit wired LAN end to end (cards and router must be capable). Other traffic on the network can impact performance. Also target the Skype window rather than the desktop (although I suspect you do target Skype) as window (or region) targeting will decrease the use of resources. Also check how it performs with DTP 3D compatibility Off vs On.
    All of my cams are set to 720p. My Canvas and is 720p and I am recording at 720p. However that being said I am streaming at 360p at a rate of 352k well with in my up bandwidth limit. GPU and high quality video are both on. I am also using H.264. I do target skype as a window to reduce the bandwidth and I have a Gigabit ethernet front end in my studio.

I have wiped the drive and started again with a clean install but need to test out skype. I would be thrilled if I could get a walk through.

Thanks again for the help.
    Richard Cleveland
    Producer/Host
    Naked Ape Productions

For one, trying to run three HD webcams on one USB 2.0 bus is probably going to cause problems unless you are running a USB 2.0 PCIe card. Just not enough bandwidth for three, perhaps two at the very most, if that.

Personally, I think your trying to do too much on one computer. Sending out three video feeds, with three webcams while recording to disk and bringing Skype with video into the mix...lol.

There are some tricks to help reduce the CPU load which was mentioned. If your using Wirecast set the transitions to cut, rather then smooth will help cpu load as well.

Try to off load some of the work to a second computer would help.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>