International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Wireless XLR option

Wireless XLR option

I am looking for something that will make this work for me. We do a live video stream for our high school basketball team. The one problem is at this point is that we don't have a play by play person and will need to tap into our radio guy. Half the time I will just be able to plug into the back of his box and run a 10' XLR cable to make it work. The other half of the time I will need something wireless that I will have to use to get the sound into our audio mixer. The hookup would be XLR out to XLR in. What would work for that? Thanks.

Good Morning.

Last edited by Dana; 11-15-2015 at 04:25 AM.

If you are wanting to do interviews you probably want a handheld. You have a few options in that case. You can look for a purpose built solution that has a wireless handheld and receiver. Like Dana mentioned above, pyle makes some of them as well. Just remember the old saying you get what you pay for. Not a fan of Pyle gear. I personally would look at a low end Shure or Sennheiser. And stay far far away from Line6 wireless.

The other option which may fit better is to look at a wireless camera mic. All of mine are shure but other people make them too. The receiver for these units looks a lot like a wireless mic or in ear receiver pack. It is designed to be mounted to the camera but work just fine sitting next to the audio console. The microphone end is a small transmitter that has an XLR plug on one end. You plug it into any regular microphone and away you go.

This way if you ever want to do an interview on camera you have a unit that work as both. The receiver also runs off of batteries so there is no need to find a power plug.

Quote Originally Posted by techzentv View Post

The other option which may fit better is to look at a wireless camera mic. All of mine are shure but other people make them too. The receiver for these units looks a lot like a wireless mic or in ear receiver pack. It is designed to be mounted to the camera but work just fine sitting next to the audio console. The microphone end is a small transmitter that has an XLR plug on one end. You plug it into any regular microphone and away you go.
    Hi Mike,
    any suggestions on a model, that you have tested or feel confident with?
    ---------------------------------------
    -- Wirecast | ATEM TVS --
    www.vidmedia.tv

I have gone with this setup. It works super. I just had to do a game and our play by play was over 150' away. We were even in a booth and there were obstacles blocking us. Also, there was NO way we would have been able to run XLR either. It was perfect. I'm glad I bought it and won't be afraid to use it for anything. I got mine for $50 cheaper but it's still a good price now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 01-09-2016 at 09:18 AM.

I'm looking for another option now.
    I'm looking for a low cost solution. I know, I know, a wired setup is always the best. I agree but if you have done this long enough you know that a wired setup just won't work. Well, I'm looking for a low cost solution. I have narrowed it down to 3 different models.
    1st is the Audio Technica model found here. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._wireless.html
    2nd is the Rode Filmmaker Kit found here. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...maker_kit.html
    3rd is the Sennheiser AVX Kit found here. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._wireless.html

All three have good and bad points. I just would like people that have used them to give me their take. Well, I know they will work for film and short videos we do in class as I have a Sennheiser G3 set that I use and in the 100 times I have used it the thing has NEVER failed me even up to around 275'. I want to try something different now. I want one of the three above. My main use will be for transmitting the signal of our radio guy up to our booth and into our mixer. The problem that I fall into is that his setup is XLR output so I need and XLR female adapter. On our end it will be an XLR also but it will be an XLR male adapter. What we plug into is this to broadcast our signal up to us. http://www.kappaltda.com/descargas/J...emoteMix_3.pdf Running a cord is not going to happen and I have been running wireless for over a year now with NO problems at all. I can't seem to get anyone to tell me if the Rode has an adapter that will plug into the JK Audio RemoteMix or not as the Rode has had some good reviews and it really a good price. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.