International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Voice Tips to Captivate the Audience

Voice Tips to Captivate the Audience

Hey Everyone

I'm a voice and storytelling expert and I work with lots of podcastors, I wanted to share a few voice tips for anyone that might be struggling with voice, that will make you a little more captivating which will help you connect with your audience.

Be aware of pace. Set a moderate pace and then play faster and slower at certain points for emphasis.

Don't be afraid to pause. In real life we pause and we want to re-create the natural voice we speak with
    when we are not in front of the microphone.

Make sure you remember to stress what's important to you and what you need us to know is important.

Remember, we don't know what you know.

Breathing is not something you will necessarily remember in the moment but it's key. Train yourself to
    remember to breath.

When you need air, don't hesitate to take some in, even if it's mid-sentence, that will keep you from cramming to many words in not enough breath.

Ask questions like you really want an answer that will make them sound more natural.

If you are using a script for the person's bio, make sure and read it out loud before you start. If you only read it in your head, it will coming out sounding like reading a script.

If you need any more help or want me to take a listen to your podcast, don't hesitate to reach out. tracy@captivatetheroom.com

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    These are all good tips. Welcome to the IAIB!
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Thank you! So glad to be here. My friend Tom, That Vid Blaster Guy recommended I joined. I'm a voice coach but finally getting my podcast so will be great for me to learn from the best. Thanks for responding!