International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: I need a wireless mic system

I need a wireless mic system

I am looking for a handheld wireless mic system that has a range of at least 400' or even a little more. It will be used for sideline reporting and other things but when doing sideline reporting it will be a long distance from the base to the mic. I would like to keep it under the $400 mark as we are a school on a budget. I really like the Audio-Technica System 10 Digital Wireless - Handheld System range but it only has a range of 100' is what they say. Does anyone know of any good deals out there that would work? Thanks.

As I rethink my distance I don't know why I decided 400'. I guess that would be by running a cable down, around under and over things to get it to where I need. I guess as the crow flies and in a straight line it would be closer to 200' max. Does that help my cause?

It will be a straight line of sight and no obstacles in the way. After taking a measurement I have found that the distance is going to be less than 150' at the possible farthest. We can always make sure our sideline reporter is never too far away I guess. I have no idea how I judged it to be so far in the first place. I guess I'm a guy judging distance.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    It's going to be hard to find a system that meets your needs for that budget. You may be able to do it. Contact Audio-Technica and talk with them. The system I have is over $800, and it's nowhere near the top of the line.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I have talked to others and they hold that same opinion. I am finding that it may be best to just see if I can run a cable out of sight and way to the point needed.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I will have a camera on the sideline with the reporter. The camera will have XLR inputs for sound. I am running the video up through a Balun that includes sound. Muxlabs 500053 to a 500052-Pro-BNC Balun. What if I would get a wireless setup and hook it up to the camera which will only be several feet away from the talent. It would then run into the camera, into the balun, through the cat 6 cable and upstairs. Then I would take the sound from the Balun and into the mixer. Anyone care to comment?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    That setup just changes the location of the recorder. It doesn't change the price of the wireless microphone. If the talent is that close to the camera, use a wired mic. You can get a good one for $200.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I am going to use a wired mic and hook it up to the camera. That will be the best and most stable bet. Then I will just use the AV out of the camera and plug into the Balun and wire the sound through the Balun. I don't know why I didn't think of that. This is actually a more stable way and is much cheaper than a good wireless setup for sure. Especially when wireless is not needed. Thanks.