International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Right mic for a studio??

Right mic for a studio??

This is for a high school studio that has a limited budget. I am looking at putting in 2 shotgun mics or some type of condenser mic from above instead of using the lav mics. This is for when we do our broadcasts and any other type of interview or project. This way we don't have to spend time hiding the cable and making sure everything is set properly which can some times take up to 5 minutes or more when using a lav. What mic can be suggested for around the $300 mark a mic. I have been looking at the Rode Microphones NT3 Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone found at this link. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002PSCQW/...LRD7FRH8U4What are your suggestions on this? Thanks.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Any of the Rode shotguns should work. Be aware, however, that the studio acoustics will play a MAJOR part in how good the audio sounds. If the studio is a small room with no acoustical treatment, the overhead mic will provide less-than-stellar results.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

The room is acoustically treated and is fairly non responsive now. Do you have any other suggestions?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    The top choice would be an Audio-Technica AT4053B, but it's more expensive. The ones you suggested should also work just fine.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.