International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Interviewing for a Podcast

Interviewing for a Podcast

I've got my podcast going and uploaded my third episode yesterday. I've got a few bands/musicians who want to do interviews and before I set up anything I wanted to get some feedback on what is appropriate equipment wise.

I have actually done one interview already, a phone interview which I used TapeACall with, but the quality wasn't very good so I'm going to be investigating recording over Skype or alternate means. However, I've yet to do an in person interview. My current recording equipment situation is my HP Pavillion Entertainment PC along with a CAD U1000 USB Condenser Mic that I bought bundled with a carrying case and monitor headphones using Audacity to record. I'd like to use Reaper for my editing and recording, but due to memory issues it often has brief hiccups when recording where it stops for like .25 seconds before starting again.

I've seen people with pocket recording devices used for interviews and wondered if it would be better to invest in one of those before I went after any interviews.

Would what I have now be alright? Or should I invest in a good quality pocket recorder?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Since it sounds like your computer setup is not optimum, you might want to get a portable recorder. The Tascam and Zoom models are very popular. If you get one, make sure that you get one that has an external mic input. If you can spend the money, get one with an XLR mic input. You might want to get a dynamic interview mic, such as the Sennheiser MD46 or, if you want to spend less, an Audio-Technica AT2005.

Learning to use a remove rig is not easy. It takes time and practice. The hardest part is making sure that your audio levels are neither too high nor too low.

Take a look at the video on this page to learn about the Tascam portable recorders: http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Thanks for the recommendation! That's something I could afford to buy in a few months, actually.

Would it be worth it to try with my current set up if someone wanted to do one sooner, do you think?

The mic is omnidirectional.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    You should certainly work with what you have to learn proper techniques. Omni mics are not usually the best choice. You'll have to decide whether it meets your needs.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Mcphillips has been amazing help for many of us podcasters. Thanks Mike for taking the time and helping us!