International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Podcasting setup under 500 dollars

Podcasting setup under 500 dollars

I am looking to upgrade my equipment and set aside 500 dollars to do Audio/Video. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my equipment and set aside 500 dollars to do Audio/Video. Any suggestions?
    What equipment are you using right now?

I feel there is no One size fits all. Also keep in mind, that if you're audio sounds good - new equipment won't bring you more subscribers. For example if you use something like a Audio Technica ATR2100 and you upgrade to a Heil PR40. Will it sound better? Yes. Will it sound $240 better? No. However, if you have a Blue Snowball/Yeti and you switch to a ATR2100 you will probably sound noticeably better as the ATR2100 is a dynamic microphone and all Blue microphones (that I am aware of) are condenser and pick up much more room noise.

Likewise a mixer is another piece of equipment that you may not need. If you're doing a solo podcast, and you add your music in after the fact, you absolutely do not need a mixer. Now a mixer can help shape your voice, but you can also do that in software post-recording.

Lastly, what is current problem. You may be obsessing over a noise that nobody hears. When I had launched my first podcast I OBSESSED over my fan noise. I added noise gates and all this stuff, and I swear I could hear it in the recording (listening to the recording sitting right next to the computer with the fan noise....) In the end if it did get on the recording, the only reason I heard it is because I had pushed my headphones so far into my head, and I was listening at 2 in the morning when nobody was awake and the house was quiet. Finally, someone wrote in and said, "Dave I have no idea what noise you are talking about (as i would mention it in my podcast - great content) I don't hear it, and I do wish you would move on. So in the end we all freak out over our audio quality when in reality it may be something that is so small its basically silent to the average listener. I know I had an episode this year that I had bumped some knobs and I did have legitimate noise in the episode. I was listening to it while driving on route 480 going to work. I couldn't hear it over the noise of the cars around me.

So let's start with identifying the problem. What's wrong with your current setup?
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

Thank you for the detailed reply Dave. My setup right now is just 1 ATR 2100 USB mic. I want to have a 3 microphone setup with a mixer and two cameras. I know it can be done under 500 dollars I just dont know what mixer and camera to get.

Would a Gate be needed if I have 3 people in the room ?