International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twit.tv Shutting down Live Stream and IRC

Twit.tv Shutting down Live Stream and IRC

I know many of you guys are TWiT fans and will be disappointment to hear that Leo Laporte and TWiT.TV will be shutting down its IRC chatroom and no longer providing a live version of its shows. Everything from now on will be pre produced

In my opinion this is really bad. the entire model for that company has been community.

The reason given is due to constant harassment from a few people in the audience. How does killing the live stream help with that?

Comments?

Im am a little confused he is changing his entire model because of "haters". Why not just create a pay wall for live content and the chatroom.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster thetechbuzz's Avatar
    I think he's making a mistake, Live is the future. If he was smart he could have monetized off this instead of killing it completely. One thing we are all taught when doing online broadcasting, is that we should not "Feed the trolls." Especially after he said on the "Tech Guy" that the chat room was his extended "Brain." He even stated "Live" was the future. I wish him the best, but I think it's a HUGE mistake.
    Stephen Heywood
    Host/Owner of
    The Tech Buzz www.thetechbuzz.net
    and
    TTB Network www.ttbn.tv

I would have to agree with you Stephen. He has always defended and pitched how "LIVE" was the future and that the interaction with chat was revolutionary.

Never really been a fan of Twit. Mostly because of the online shenanigans I won't mention. He says its due to trolls for stopping the live stream and chat. I believe its to edit mistakes like accidental release of a picture during a live broadcast. An oops moment.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

I agree with Linuxcooldude. I could go into who I think is really behind these decisions, but I'll just leave that out of this post.

It sounds like they're going to explore chat room options. A monthly fee to be in a member's only chat room might just work. And they aren't just phasing it out either. They're getting rid of the chat cold turkey. It'll be really interesting to see the reaction and/or fallout to this decision. I think Twit will be fine in the long run.

Although, it sounds like they're moving more toward the cable network model of pre-taped, pre-edited programs that wouldn't need a chat room anyway. I think we're seeing that with THE NEW SCREEN SAVERS. They're cutting to packages and segments that are clearly taped and edited. I'm assuming SCREEN SAVERS and THIS WEEK IN TECH will still be live. Or maybe not???

I hope one day my show gets popular enough that I have to worry about trolls in my chat room.
    Chase Shumway
    ChaseShumway.com
    Circle Me On Google+ (while it still exists)

wow...not unexpected though. I used to listen to a ton of TWiT shows, now it's down to some of TWiT and Macbreak Weekly and most of Windows Weekly and Security Now. I tend to get bored with all the Apple Watch talk on TWiT and MBW. Unless there's something really interesting I tune out and move to the next podcast in my list.

I don't believe this is the end the chatroom or live content. It might be for the short term but they will be back with a pay model for the "TWiT Army" This might be a great excuse for him to charge the listeners 9.99 a month to have access to live content and be part of the community.

Well since this afternoon so much has changed. Perez Hilton and a few other sites have picked up the story.

This is just turning really strange. It seems like Twit will not be ending live content and will also most likely keep the chatroom.

http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/new...d-live-content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast