International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: What Should I be looking for in a Mixer for Podcasting

Hybrid View

What Should I be looking for in a Mixer for Podcasting

I am about to buy a new mixer and wanted to know what I should be looking for. Is there anything special I need to have for podcasting? What mixers do you boys suggest.

I saw a yamaha the other day that didnt look to bad but I have no idea what I should be looking for

When I began, the most important feature I look for in a mixer was the number of Aux channels available.

The ability to provide mix-minus returns to Skype callers was important and we had a specific number in mind. To that end we chose the X2442, which fit the bill perfectly at the time.

If I were to do it today, I'd be looking for the above, along with the capability to provide good processing (expander/gate/compressor/limiter), similar to the external equipment that is being used, built into the mixer.
    Richard Wildman
    Executive Producer / Host
    Music Scene Investigation
    http://musicsceneinvestigation.com

you should get something with atleast two aux sends.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    It hurts to recommend Behringer, but their X1204USB or larger X2442USB mixers are a lot of bang for your buck. You should select a mixer based on your needs. Don't buy one until you know what you need.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Behringer X18 Tabletop ($699) or the Behringer XR18 Rackmount ($699) with 6 Aux Sends. Both are controlled via WI-Fi computer, Android or IOS Tablets or smart phones. They are priced right and very flexible, especially considering you can use a cheap android device to remotely control them. The Behringer XR16 ($499) and Behringer XR12 ($299) are perfect as well, and except for I/O's they offer all if the exact same features as the X Air 18's, but availabilty for these two mixers won't be until won't be until around June 2015. Why...

Last edited by docizzen; 04-08-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Arlee Carson
    www.Blurbidea.com (blur-bid-ee-ah)

I agree that anything with a few aux sends is perfect. You do not need any of the EQ stuff that some of these mixers offer.

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    Behringer X18 Tabletop ($699) or the Behringer XR18 Rackmount ($699) with 6 Aux Sends. Both are controlled via WI-Fi computer, Android or IOS Tablets or smart phones. They are priced right and very flexible, especially considering you can use a cheap android device to remotely control them. The Behringer XR16 ($499) and Behringer XR12 ($299) are perfect as well, and except for I/O's they offer all if the exact same features as the X Air 18's, but availabilty for these two mixers won't be until won't be until around June 2015. Why...
    Wow... do yourself a favour and watch all of the videos on this device. This looks to be a killer! I can see how any of the models will fit into my workflow. Certainly I will be investigating further.