International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howard Stern Says Podcasting is for Losers

Howard Stern Says Podcasting is for Losers

I have been a long time fan of Howard Stern but his age is starting to show. The bitterness that some traditional broadcasters have towards Internet Broadcasting amazes me.

In this clip Howard claims that podcasters are losers and no one is making money. He also claims that its pathetic that we make "Pennies" from Amazon clips.

The reality is that most Podcasters wont make money or have a large audience but there is a tremendous amount of people out there making a decent living.

The reality is that there are plenty of Podcasters / Internet Broadcasters making a very good living.

Wow talk about out of touch. Stern has been in a bubble for 25 years. If it wasnt for Karmazin having a man crush on him he ass would have been out on the streets. He was great for many years but now is totally touch. but what else would you expect from a 62 year old man who makes 500 million a year.

The dude is losing it!

He has no idea what a podcast is. He probably saw some youtube video one time and thinks thats a podcast. There are plenty of non celebrity podcasters making a great living. Im sure some of them being on the IAIB.

The best part of the rant was when he said we should go into a small market radio station and get a job there and make some money. OK Howard its not 1978 anymore. things dont work that way.

He has turned into everything he hated.

I am a huge Howard Stern fan myself and as somebody who studied radio broadcasting and earned a degree in the field I completely disagree with his stance. Of course I am extremely biased since I am a podcaster. It doesn't matter if he thinks I am a loser. All that matters is that my audience is loyal and they love downloading my show every week. If podcasting is for losers why are so many radio hosts now offering their content on demand in podcast format?

This is clearly a man that doesn't understand how the technology and the paradigm has shifted. I almost feel sorry for him.
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

I am shocked that he isn't calming he invented Podcasting.

I did college radio and was hoping to have a future in broadcasting. There is no money in radio. Those days are over if you want to be an on air talent. I Podcast for fun not money. there are plenty of people out there making money podcasting. Tom Merritt, Brian Brushwood, Leo Laporte, Andrew Zarian just to name a few. I guess they are all losers that couldnt make it in radio according to old man stern.

This mentality has existed in broadcasting for a long time. Many guys on top look down at weekenders. Many weekenders look down at the "Pay for Play" guys. It just shows you how out of touch some people are.

This is a guy who left to go to satellite. who has satellite radio anymore?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    The podcasting community has allowed itself to be so overrun with consultants and success coaches that it's going to be hard to defend itself. At one level, Howard is right. Terrestrial radio is here to stay for a while. Satellite radio? I do not know ONE person who has a satellite radio and regularly listens to it. There must be quite a few listeners or Sirius XM would not be wasting the kind of money they are on Howard.

And you guys can lay off that "old man" stuff. I hope you have the privilege of living to his ancient age. And beyond. Not everyone gets to do that.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

The future is internet brodcasting and podcasting. This is why: personal current experience. I buy time a Orlando's most important Spanish Radio that I have been buying time for the last 10 years and what I have been noticing is how low caller interction has become on a mostly talk format BUT if the station audio stream goes down for what ever reason people just call to the lines to prostest that the audio stream is down. So if you don't have your typical regular caller from the car, house or work calling in and the one that lost audio stream calling someone has a problem PLUS the constant change of Radio Broadcasters at radio stations don't help much either. Internet podcasting is the way to go period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast