International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howard Stern Says Podcasting is for Losers

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    The podcasting community has allowed itself to be so overrun with consultants and success coaches that it's going to be hard to defend itself. At one level, Howard is right. Terrestrial radio is here to stay for a while. Satellite radio? I do not know ONE person who has a satellite radio and regularly listens to it. There must be quite a few listeners or Sirius XM would not be wasting the kind of money they are on Howard.

And you guys can lay off that "old man" stuff. I hope you have the privilege of living to his ancient age. And beyond. Not everyone gets to do that.
    Howards issue is that Podcasts are taking viewers away from his show. Also he no longer can charge the rate he wants for ads.

Howards been doing this for years. He talks crap about anyone who he thinks is taking away his audience. Im willing to put money on him having a podcast by next year. His boys Adam and Dr. Drew are making a killing doing podcasts.
    you best get steppin

The reality is that there is some truth to what Howard is saying. Most podcasters will never make money and shouldn't expect to make money. Most podcasts are not every good. They lack everything from talent to decent audio quality.

if you are a 35 year vet of broadcasting and hear one of these guys you might be insulted also. With that said Howard has many friends in podcasting and knows how successful someone can be doing it. They dont make Howard Stern money but who does? Howard has a problem with anything thats competition He will crap all over anything he feels might take away from his broadcast.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Look, he’s Howard Stern…at this stage of his life it doesn’t matter how out of touch he is. He got into broadcasting at a time when radio mattered and talent was getting paid. It’s a totally different world now.

I’ve been an independent broadcaster since 1998…I would always say that I was like the Rodney Dangerfield of radio, “no respect.” However, radio’s naivety in believing that my program would never last, or was too niche to be anything other than weekend programming was, in reality, a desirable “disadvantage” to have as an entrepreneur (which is what we all are). It offered me the opportunity to grow my brand on my own terms. I was given carte blanche to use the studios, transmitters, call letters and the ratings of guys like Howard to sell a product(my show) that I owned, which, at the time, was incomprehensible to anyone in radio, including Howard Stern who called my program an “infomercial”…But I knew as soon as he said that, that I had arrived.

Today, I’m a full time Internet broadcaster, and I know some well known people from traditional broadcasting who still can’t figure out how I do what I do. I’m fine with people like Howard Stern saying the podcasters are losers…Remember, one of the best opportunities you can be given in life is to be underestimated.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

..."overrun with consultants" is a bit of a gross overstatement. Like Howard, you also operate in a bubble. Most podcasters will never come into contact with any podcasting how-to show or entrepreneur podcast. We just operate in a niche that sees that stuff a lot. There's nothing to defend, podcasting is great *because* of its lack of barrier to entry. Yes, there is a bunch of garbage but the good stuff does well and it's awesome to see new approaches to media that back in the day and probably right now, Howard would respect. He got everyone in podcasting talking about him. Just doing what he's always done He'll have a podcast soon enough.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rayortega View Post
    Like Howard, you also operate in a bubble.
    That's a pretty rude comment about someone who has given willingly of his time to many people.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    That's a pretty rude comment about someone who has given willingly of his time to many people.
    Mike, you’re the best! I’ve only met a handful of people in my life who are so willing to take time out of their lives to help others the way that you do. I for one am grateful for your expertise and willingness to freely share it with all of us.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

I remember hearing Howard rant on websites back in the 90s. That he wouldn't get one, didn't care about the web, etc. So it doesn't surprise me that he has come out with this stance. That and as has been discussed already... he is partially right and this is what he has always done and continues to get groups of people talking about his show by taking them on directly.

I think we all can agree that Howard is in the business of getting a "rise" out of people, and his remarks in the video show us that he's still one of the best in that department. As a podcaster of 8 years I wince when I hear him use the word "loser" to describe our ranks. But prior to my years as a podcaster I spent more than 35 years as a radio broadcaster. I share with Howard the experience of working the small wattage, fuzzy signal, No-where-ville radio homes that used to be the pre-requisite to moving up to radio jobs that paid you more and made you feel better about looking people in the eye when they asked what you do for a living.

I don't want to pretend to be Howard's brain, but I think he was coming from that old paradigm that said you "pay your dues" before calling yourself a radio broadcaster. He hinted that much when he said there are folks in his own workplace who don't belong on the air. I'm old enough to remember when one had to pass an FCC test before opening a mic. Nobody dared dream of buying a microphone on Friday and declaring himself a broadcaster on Monday. Old-timers get a little touchy because they believed they were standing on the shoulders of those who came before them, and since they don't see that same connection today they feel the system has been compromised.

The podcaster's path is different- no better or worse. I'm as excited right now about podcasting as I was many years ago playing records on my first job in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I salute all of you for the great work you're doing, and will do in the years to come.

I wish us all the best!!
    Last edited by Giohost; 03-25-2015 at 02:58 PM.

As a forget radio worker who never had to pass the FCC test, but spent around 20 years in the business, I used to feel like people needed to work their way up and pay their dues...

Unfortunately that is backward thinking. There are a lot of people that paid their dues that don't belong on air. There are a lot that haven't and absolutely belong on air. It's the same with every industry. Why not take the best and brightest and move them up the ranks post those that don't belong but are there simply because they outlasted the others?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12