International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: camera options for simple studio?

Threaded View

camera options for simple studio?

Hi All,

I'm back after about 6 months and some experience under my belt. I hope my question is simpler here than in some of the research I've done.

I've got a basic little studio setup with lights, mics and Logitech C920 mounted in a DIY teleprompter. I use vMix for recording. Everything goes into an i5 computer with plenty of RAM, memory and a cheap GPU card.

The webcam works pretty well but I'd like to add another camera. What I can't seem to find for love or money is a camcorder that has a USB out like the Logitech. There are gizmos that can be added like frame grabbers from the video out or firewire but I haven't seen something that works like a basic webcam. The audio is done through a little mixer into a different USB port so the camera doesn't have to have audio capability. My assistant and I basically edit as we go so we'll shoot a take, see how it looks on the computer screen and keep it or do another.

There might be times when I won't be in the same room as the computer so the ability to record video and audio to an internal card is the attraction for a different kind of camera.

If I wanted a camcorder (or some other kind of camera) that can work like a webcam, what am I looking for?

Thanks, as always, sh
    Last edited by luthierwnc; 03-07-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling error