International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: How do we listen to this thing???

How do we listen to this thing???

I've always wanted to be on the radio so I said F it and made my own radio station with zero technical knowledge.

I'm using Mixlr to broadcast, and a Xenyx 1202 to mix 4 condenser mics (3 hosts and a guest), 1 mix-minus iPhone for live call ins, an iPad with a drop app for drops, and a laptop channel for any additional sounds I wanna broadcast like youtube.

Its all working pretty darn well actually. Except for a few things. I have questions:

1) There is only 1 'headphones' port for monitoring my mixer. Everything goes through the mixer so this is where I do the monitoring of our show. The only thing is, with only 1 headphones port and up to 5 people trying to listen to it, we've just used a $9 headphone splitter to split the sound http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-RockSta.../dp/B0017PG8KS . Is that the way to go? For some reason I doubt that legit radio stations use a $9 headphone splitter to allow all their dj's and guests to listen in. How should we be monitoring this thing?

2) I bought the Xenxy about 3 months ago on amazon and while it technically seems to be exactly what I need to do everything I want (3 hosts and a guest, mix-minus iPhone, etc), it's kinda not working out. When I plug in more than 3 headphones to the splitter it starts going all haywire. Some of us can't hear ourselves, some don't seem to be broadcasting through our mics, its a mess. Also, no matter how I mess with the iPhone mix-minus it doesn't seem to work. The other day I unplugged the red/black audio into the channel and started to plug the black back in and everything seemed to magically work for a split second, we could hear the caller and all of ourselves, but this fleeting perfection instantly cut out and no matter how many times I unplugged and plugged back in I couldn't make the thing work.
    I'm starting to chalk this all up to a lemon xenyx board and I'm going to guitar center to pick up something more substantial.
    I guess my question on this one is, should I be going the mixing board way at all? It seems like the best way to do what I want to do right? (or wrong)? and secondly, have you guys experienced this kinda thing? Does it sound like a bad board?

Thanks for anybody taking time to read through my rambling. I'm gunna figure this out, but if anybody has any pointers to help out I'd sure as hell appreciate it.
    Last edited by SWOTI; 02-07-2015 at 01:34 PM.

We use one of these for headphones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furman-HA-6A...item3cf23df472

I bought the 1204 and a few short months later realized it will not do the job. So we got the X2442USB and all is fine four years later.

Cool thanks for the info. I'm going to look into something like that for the headphones.

As for the mixer, after doing a lot more research I've ordered an Allen & Heath Zed 14. Hopefully that will solve my audio gremlins and give me my much longed after consistency.

PS- What is your opinion on USB vs 1/4" output to computer?

I've heard people with opinions both ways. Some people say they don't like the sound of a USB into computer and others say it fixed all their problems.

Currently I'm going from 1/4" left/right out of mixer > 3.5mm jack into computer to stream my audio.

With the Allen & Heath I'll have the choice of USB, xlr, or 1/4" out. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the USB out and seeing if it works for me.
    Last edited by SWOTI; 02-08-2015 at 08:13 PM.