International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mixer board suggestions?

IAIB Broadcaster

New Mixer board suggestions?

Hi Guys I am looking to get a mixer board in the next couple of days. My requirements are at least 4 channels and 2 Aux Sends whats ur Thoughts?

Im a big fan of the mackie 1402-vlz3 . Its a great mixer.

I use a Alesis Multimix8 USB FX. 8 channels, 4 XLR inputs, gain functions on the first 4 channels, USB input, Lo-Cut 80Hz, built in 48v phantom power, and everything you need for broadcasting and recording.

IAIB Broadcaster
    Mackies are true workhorses.

I used to have an Alesis Multimix 8 USB but it failed on me, I have since moved to a Mackie mixer the 802-VLZ3 and love it. It's not a USB mixer so at first I had to figure out how to get it to work in my studio but I've noticed a dramatic change in my audio quality since moving to this Mackie mixer.
    Founder/Program Director at spnt.tv
    Host of Who-Dey Weekly
    Host of Irish Impact
    Host of Red vs Red
    Host of Thursday Tech Talk
    Host of Redleg Weekly
    Host of Start Talking and Recording Today
    Producer of The Minor League Report

I stay far away from USB mixers. I have not encountered one that works well. Many of them have Ground Loop issues. We use a Mackie Pro fx12 mixer that also does USB. The USB is a mess. Really bad Ground Loop issues.

I also have been using a Mackie 1402 VLZ for many years. Great board for podcasting with mic pre-amps and 2 aux sends. For Skype I use an old Yamaha 1204 with Four sub-groups with 2 aux sends and 2 effects sends. I can create several mix-minus feeds to my three Skype machines.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I stay far away from USB mixers. I have not encountered one that works well. Many of them have Ground Loop issues. We use a Mackie Pro fx12 mixer that also does USB. The USB is a mess. Really bad Ground Loop issues.
    Not a big fan of the USB function either. Very hard to control your volume on the mixer when using the USB, because it goes to your main channel. You have to pretty much control the volume on your computer. The only time I use the USB is when bringing audio from my mixer into my computer. When bringing audio from the computer to the mixer I just use TRS cables I have hooked up to the first two channels on my mixer, and then other end which is a 3.5mm jack goes into the speaker input on my computer.

I would have to go with the mackie 1402-vlz3 as well.
    Jase Rossi | Founder, Lead Reviewer and Host of ReBoot! The Anything and Everything Gaming Podcast at www.Nerdmunky.com

Follow me on Twitter :@jaserossi

I used to use a Alesis MultiMix 8-USB but the channels started to fail 1 by 1. Currently using a Behringer Xenyx X2442USB mixer that is definitly overkill for what I need. It has 4 aux sends, which was the selling feature for me. Would like to have the growth to setup more mix-minus for skype boxes in the future.

Another nice feature is that there is a built in compressor on all of the main channels. Puts out some smooth clean audio.
    Last edited by dasme; 07-05-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast