International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Mixer/Interface for specific situation

Mixer/Interface for specific situation

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I want to say a general thank you for everything I've learnt while lurking and hoping you may be able to help me find a solution I'm looking for.

Basically I'm setting up a podcasting/broadcasting studio.

I originally had two objectives:
    1. Record each channel separately (for post production)
    2. Record without the computer (due to length and show format I want to minimise risk)

So I was thinking something as simple as some mics and a zoom H6 or such and away I go (Zoom H6 as I want portability as weel). But while I'm planning a lot of in person recordings, I've realised skype will become a huge part of things, so I need a mixer or an interface.

There are plenty of options out there that I'm aware of, but they seem that they would meet only 2/3 of my preferred requirements.

1. Record each channel separately
    2. Record without the computer
    3. Skype

Then I got to looking at firewire options like the Mackie 1220i etc, and thinking I could record each channel on a computer and a back up recording of the mix on a digital recorder. This seems like a good option but I have read many mixed reviews on the firewire and in particular the gain levels brought across to the computer.

So finally I started to think about a mixer with direct outs. That way I could run each channel into a input on the Zoom H6 or R16. There are several (slightly more expensive) mixers from Mackie, A&H & Soundcraft with this functionality as well as the Behringer Xenyx X2442USB which I believe is very popular around here (and dropping in price now that it's superseded). Some like the A&H MixWizards have multichannel usb output which would give absolutely everything but at a price.

Anyway my main questions are:

1. Would direct outs work in this manner? Most podcast "experts" I've spoken to lately aren't experienced with it.

2. Can you suggest any other solutions for say under $1k that would all me to Record each channel separately, Record without the computer and handle multiple skype calls?

Until I found this forum I've heard very little positive about Behringer mixers but I'm probably leaning towards the Behringer Xenyx X2442USB (which I can actually lease for a few dollars per week) simply to test and trial and then upgrade down the road if need be.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the long post.

Many of us are looking for the same thing. This seems promising in terms of portability. The price is pretty high for now.

Price for now $799 USD: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ixer_ipad.html

Not so portable, but a great option if you want to grab an iPad and walk around the hall to do sound checks from the audiences' perspectives.

Thanks for the heads up MovieBuff, I'll check them out.

So I've been thinking about my mixer search some more and have had some thoughts.

I completely overlooked the ability to use inserts as direct outs, I was wanting to use as "inserts" but I don't really need to do so.

This opens up most analogue options to record each channel on a recorder and record skype.

I also got ahead of myself in terms of Aux sends, while long term I want four, I will only have 2-3 computers in the studio in the short term.

So I've basically come down to this:

Option 1: A Mackie VLZ4 (most likely 1402) or another similar mixer. This is the cheaper option, it will allow me to do everything I want to do. The only thing I won't be able to do is record on a computer in multitrack, which is not important but has grown on me in the last few days.

Option 2: A all in one mixer such as the Onyx 1620i or Behringer: XENYX UFX1604. These would allow multitrack recording in a digital recorder AND computer. My two concerns are 1) I've heard so many bad things about Behringer (though many here are happy with them) and 2) the -18db attenuation in the DAW on the Onyx. I'm concerned with not only the amount of noise introduced into the recording raising the levels, but also my ability to do so.

I'm looking at leasing a mixer for 6 months rather than buying it. That way I can test everything out and see what my needs will actually be.

Anyone have any thoughts? In particular regarding the two firewire options mentioned?

The presonus 16.0.2 has come down in price (under $1,000) and would allow a multichannel out and you could still hook it up to an H6.

Also, if he still has it, you can grab one used at a decent price:
    http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/s...l-Mixer-16-0-2

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Your comment that you want to record on an external recorder to minimize risk suggests that you've been listening to one or more podcast "consultants" who have some weird misunderstandings about how technology works. You're probably going to end up with an awkward system that you will one day simplify. Your idea to lease a mixer to learn is probably a good idea.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Mike : I would alway 100% record my audio on an outside source. Its great if you want to have a backup recording of your audio but I suggest using something on your computer as your main source

If your idea is to record each input to a seperate channel why not look at a Zoom R24 Multi-Track Recorder Controller
    -a 24-track recorder, 8-in/2-out audio interface, DAW controller, and sampler/sequencer/drum machine in one portable 3-pound package with the Zoom R24.

You can pick them up new for around $500US

Very portable. http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMR24