International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: What Podcast app do you use and why

Question What Podcast app do you use and why

I was asked a very good question the other day and I wanted to crowd source the answer. I got an email from a viewer asking me what the best podcasting app was, and why I suggest it. Im embarrassed to say that the way that I consume podcasts are pretty old school. I either go to the website and download the show / listen it to on the site or, I download it on itunes.

I rarely listen to podcasts on the go so I am not familiar with what apps are good and why people use them.

Here is my question. What podcasting apps do you use ( iOS, Android, Windows phone) and why do you use it.

I am an Android user and consume most of my podcasts in the car. I typically connect my phone to the car via 1/8" cord.

I have used Stitcher in the past, but began using PocketCasts. It is easy to use and is well designed.

Otherwise, if I listen any other times, like at my desk, I typically am like you... download or listen off the website.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I was asked a very good question the other day and I wanted to crowd source the answer. I got an email from a viewer asking me what the best podcasting app was, and why I suggest it. Im embarrassed to say that the way that I consume podcasts are pretty old school. I either go to the website and download the show / listen it to on the site or, I download it on itunes.

I rarely listen to podcasts on the go so I am not familiar with what apps are good and why people use them.

Here is my question. What podcasting apps do you use ( iOS, Android, Windows phone) and why do you use it.
    I try to avoid using iTunes for anything. It is to me for Apple what Windows is for Microsoft, something that was designed to do a few simple things and has had every feature in the world grafted onto it. In both cases it needs to be blown up and rebuilt from scratch.

On iOS I use Downcast. It has a very good selection of features and a simple user interface. The most important ones to me are variable speed, skipping forward/back by a time interval and OPML support. There are many other good iOS options PocketCasts, InstaCast, and OverCast, which is interesting, it has a smart speed option and it automatically skips over long silences, but is limited in that it is audio only and can't do password protected podcasts.

On Android I use PocketCasts, which as I mentioned above is pretty comparable to the best iOS apps and can sync across devices. BeypndPod is another good option.

On Windows Phone I haven't found anything I'm thrilled with. I like Gobble on Windows/Windows RT, but it is so deathly slow to load on Windows Phone (a Lumia 520, so it might be a memory issue) that it is unusable for me. I am currently using iPodcast, but am always looking for something better. Windows Phone is well behind iOS and Android in this area.

I have been using Downcast on my MacBook Pro, iPad Mini and iPhone 6. I have tried many different podcast apps but found Downcast the one for me. Some of the things I like is the layout and ability to search for podcasts. I also like how it syncs changes between all my devices.

Recommended if you are on OS X and iOS

I was using Stitcher for the longest time but the quality is awful. they do some transcoding and it sounds like the audio is 32k. Pocketcast is very good. The UI is easy to use and understand. If im using my ipad I stick with the Podcast app by apple.

I use iCatcher for iOS. It has a smart playlist feature that I love and also lets you backup your subscriptions easily.

IAIB Broadcaster
    PocketCasts for both iOS and Android. Because: It's the best I have found.
    Get a PC!