International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Hire an audio editor or do it yourself?

Junior Member Ron Redwalker Knight's Avatar

Question Hire an audio editor or do it yourself?

If you hire someone to edit your podcast (removing unnecessary sounds), how much does it usually cost to edit a 30-40 minute show? How much is the rate of an audio editor now? Thanks!
    Sounds beyond cool.

It depends on how much editing it required. I was paying someone 20 dollars a show to edit my podcasts.

Thanks @Podnutter for your honest reply. I see, so you were paying $20, how long was your show? And how about the turn around time? Thank you.
    Sounds beyond cool.

This show is a one hour podcast and i will probably get it back within a few hours of sending it to them. All together i would say the turn around was anywhere from 2-6 hours

I see. Great. At least I have an idea about the time and the price. Is $20 a fair price?
    Sounds beyond cool.

$20 is on the cheap side. Most people I know who edit audio for a living are up there in cost, but they will also deliver a product that sounds great (well great relative to the audio quality they received to begin with). They will edit and master the sound, but it is upward $75+ per hour of work.

Whoa.. that's pricey. I know someone whose rate is just a buck per minute. No hourly pay. Everything is edited and mastered.
    Sounds beyond cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    It depends on how much editing it required. I was paying someone 20 dollars a show to edit my podcasts.
    Not trying to be condecending - but no seasoned professional editor/sound engineer would even think about taking on a client for that kind of money. Take it from me - some people who produce podcasts are willing to pay top $$ for high quality results.

First of all proper dialogue editing is an art. There's allot more to it than selecting an "Umm" and deleting it. Same holds true for proper mixing techniques.

Secondly, we invest in top of line tools that yield reference quality audio. Have you checked the price of iZotope's RX4 Advanced? It's well over $1K. Having access to this tool and most importantly knowledge on how to get the most out of it allows me to charge a premium price.

Lastly it takes allot of experience to properly process the audio, especially when delivery specs. and standardization become more and more important. And let's not forget reliability. You have to earn a reliable reputation.

That's just my take. I've been doing this for a while. Things slowed down for a while. With the recent uptick in the space I'm hoping for a bounce

-paul.
    Last edited by ptfigg; 10-20-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
    Not trying to be condecending - but no seasoned professional editor/sound engineer would even think about taking on a client for that kind of money. Take it from me - some people who produce podcasts are willing to pay top $$ for high quality results.

First of all proper dialogue editing is an art. There's allot more to it than selecting an "Umm" and deleting it. Same holds true for proper mixing techniques.

Secondly, we invest in top of line tools that yield reference quality audio. Have you checked the price of iZotope's RX4 Advanced? It's well over $1K. Having access to this tool and most importantly knowledge on how to get the most out of it allows me to charge a premium price.

Lastly it takes allot of experience to properly process the audio, especially when delivery specs. and standardization become more and more important. And let's not forget reliability. You have to earn a reliable reputation.

That's just my take. I've been doing this for a while. Things slowed down for a while. With the recent uptick in the space I'm hoping for a bounce

-paul.
    All I need done is the editor to add in the music for the start of the show and edit the end. I do not have a need to add or remove anything from the show. We try to stay as raw as possible.